Sunday, August 3, 2008

When they don't know you're listening

Julie was out riding today, Link was napping, and Deacon wanted to wash a car in the worst way. He has mentioned this relatively frequently, off and on, but we never do, because I don't wash my car. Life is too short and my car is too old.

But today, I told him we could.

All that to say, we were outside, washing cars. We were done with mine on the driveway, and Deacon had moved on to the minivan in the garage. Roman was in the front seat "driving."

As an aside, I'm going to mention that, no suprise to those who know him, Deacon can get a bit precocious from time to time. I do try to remember that he is a kid, and I try to usually give him age appropriate answers to questions. But Deke isn't always satisfied with that, and he'll keep pestering me until I break it down for him like a college in all the technically detailed glory I know. To which he usually says, "Why xxxxx," and I just have to say, "Deacon, that's as far as I know to break it down. After that, it's just the way it is."

And occassionally, I'll hear myself talking, but it's not me talking.

I didn't hear the beginning or the middle of this conversation, but I heard the ending. Roman remember is in the driver's seat of the van "driving," and Deke is walking around it "washing" it with a soapy rag. Deacon rounds the back of the van and calls to Roman through the open van door,

"Well Roman, first of all, because I'm washing the van right now. Second of all, I'm too short, and I don't think I could control the vehicle."

I kid you not. At least he's got a little sense. But I'd better hide the car keys from Roman.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Getting a fix?