Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Master Decorators

I was on the phone yesterday and even though I was vaguely aware of a flurry of activity upstairs, I wasn't overly concerned. I figured they were just rearranging their room or playing with their bath toys in a pool of water on the bathroom floor. I knew I would have some clean up, but I figured it would be worth it for the 15 minutes of quiet it allowed me.

Finally, Deacon came downstairs with a look of profound excitement on his face. He grabbed my hand and said, "come upstairs, we have a surprise for you!"

As we walked into my room, he said, "We decorated your room for you! We worked so hard to make it beautiful so that you would love it!" He continued to jump up and down with enthusiasm as he gave me the grand tour:

"Look at the beautiful shark towel we put on the little table!"


"The fish towel is so cute and we put Daddy's clock right on top of it!"



"We put these towels on the chair and cabinet to make them more beautiful."


"See mom, every surface we could find we covered with all the towels we could find in the linen closet. Then we added a sign!" (the sign was a coat hanger hung on the doorknob)

Look at that look of pride on his face. The towels are all still in place. I couldn't bear to move them yet because I know he will be disappointed.


Noah was gone last night and about 2200 I heard the front doorknob rattling like someone was trying to get in. I was a little nervous, because I knew it was too early for Noah to be home. I waited 30 seconds and everything was quiet so I walked over to the front window and peeked out. I didn't see anything. I went back to scooping up ice cream. I heard the noise again. I quickly reviewed my options: I wanted to go up to my room and lock the door, but I don't have a phone up there currently and of course I had no clue where my cell was. I thought about unplugging the phone downstairs and taking it with me. I considered calling the police but it seemed a little premature for that. I considered calling my neighbor Brian, but I didn't want him getting shot at or something.

As I was thinking about all of this, I started walking across the dining room and very nearly tripped over my rolling pin. Don't ask me why it was there. If you really want to know, wait until Lincoln can talk and then I will let you ask him. I picked it up, feeling kind of silly and made my way in the direction of the front door. I heard it again. But this time I was close enough to realize that it wasn't coming from the front door. It was coming from the bedroom door! Remember the hanger the boys placed on my door knob as a sign? Well, the wind from the window was trying to close the door but the hanger was in the way and it was giving off all kinds of weird noises. I sheepishly put the rolling pin away and ate another bowl of ice cream.

5 comments:

The Three 22nds said...

But, those towels came in handy last night when the gully-washing T-storm was driving water through the window horizontally!

I thought to myself, "What am I going to do with this water?"

But then I remembered that every horizontal surface in the room had a towel draped on it, so even though it was very dark, I immediately had two towels to take care of the rain.

-N

Heather of the EO said...

Oh, the little decorators, so sweet!

And I have SO done this sort of thing when Ryan is gone! Oh yes, many a time. I try to make the dog come with me to search the house, phone in one hand, ready to call 911. The dog, who looks like a pitbull, acts scared and stays on her bed. She's no help! It's always nothing, but every time, I'm totally convinced someone is in the basement (besides the furnace or washing machine, ticking and clicking away) it's becomes a big scary man, snapping his gum. I'm paranoid.

The Three 22nds said...

It is amazing what your mind can do - especially when you live with a paranoid husband (like me). Hmmm...I gotta post about him sometime...

Unknown said...

Hey at least you guys have kids who can help protect you....my phone is the kitchen...and of course I would have to walk past the door and windows to get to it...so I just lay in my bed and pray when I hear anything (and think about if I could fit through the window to escape- better not eat anymore cookies).

joolee said...

Your boys sound totally adorable......how sweet of them to decide on such neutral decor for a co-ed bedroom. Sharks reek of wedded bliss.....and maybe you could work those wet suits into the picture;)