Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Confession: My boy doesn't wear underwear

I am in a "confessing" mood this week. Maybe it is the triathlon coming up and I am just feel reflective and anxious about that, or maybe it is a couple conversations I have had recently that have reminded me of a couple of unfortunate situations in my life. Whatever the case, though, I have some things to share! And why not share them with all you people out in bloggyland- who I am sure will not judge me as an incompetent mother or a goofy former 5th grader.

Deacon doesn't wear underwear. Oh, he started out wearing it. We got him potty trained and he was so excited about his Bob the Builder underwear etc that he would wear it. Backward. So he could see the pictures. (I know I blogged this part before.) But somewhere along the line he picked up some information. I don't know where, but he became convinced that you only have to wear underwear if you are wearing pants with zippers. I honestly don't know where that came from. Probably a conversation with his dad about the merits of underwear, one of which of course is so things don't get caught in zippers. He must just have disregarded the other reasons while contemplating the horrer of being trapped in a zipper.

So he started out just periodically not wearing it. I tried reminding him and helping him dress in the morning. If he started out with it on it would remain on until the first time he used the bathroom. Then he would remove it. I bought him spiderman boxer briefs. He likes the boxer briefs but he considers them enough clothing so when he has those on he won't wear anything over them.

So I gave up. I have enough to do without policing underwear usage. He doesn't wear underwear. Oh well. Maybe someday he will. Maybe he won't. I have gone to a "don't ask, don't tell" mentality. If I am in the room when he undresses or uses the bathroom and it is clear that I have seen he has no underwear, I say, "Dekes. Looks like you forgot your underwear, man. Try to keep that stuff on!" I feel like it is my responsibility as his mother to say stuff like that. And I always send underwear for him to his grandmas. And if someone mentions to me that he has no underwear on, I act surprised. I feel like it is my responsibility to act surprised and all like, "that little stinker. No underwear! He must have forgotten this morning." But I am not surprised. The only thing that would surprise me now is if he was actually wearing it. And not with his swim trunks.

1 comment:

the momma said...

both of my little guys are just like that!!

(came over from Lindsey's :-)