Monday, November 10, 2008

A mystery

"You were busily sucking the cream out of a delicious donut (left over from your meeting with the fruitarians) while on one of your insane runs, enjoying it so thoroughly that you failed to see a patch of black ice. Now you have a broken leg AND you just discovered that you are unexpectedly pregnant with twins and becoming more nauseous by the minute. Not that getting pregnant is a bad thing. Just that you need a few days to get used to the idea."

The above is what Joolee thinks may have happened today to make it so Very.Very.Bad.

But she is not even remotely correct.

Interesting thoughts though, and kind of compelling.

I managed to get out of bringing anything to the Bible Study last week by calling in sick child. He was sick. Sort of. So no donuts.

We don't have any black ice here. Yet.

And I haven't been running outside, unfortunantly.

And I am not pregnant with twins, although that would be a reason to not feel guilty about not running. And Noah wants twins. He thinks that would push me over the edge which I am teetering on and cause me to finally say, "that is it! I give up! No more kids!".

But today is a different story.

It is, of course, a Monday coming off of a great weekend. Isn't that the way it always is? I didn't work at all, Noah got a lot of the electrical stuff done in the basement, we had friends over Sunday night, I sorted lots of boxes and we watched a movie and ate popcorn with the kids. Oh, and I did lots of laundry by flashlight.

On Friday night we had small group at our house, but I played hooky so that I could go meet up with 4 friends to do some bulk cooking. I brought the 55 pounds of ground beef, and we cooked it all up. We each came away with 2 spagetti pies, 2 other hotdishes, 4 1 lb bags of taco meat, 4 bags of meatballs. Success. That is 12 meals for this month, all made in 1 night and at really low cost!

So brought it all home and threw it in the deep freezer. You can see where this is going, right?

Let's review the clues, my friends:

1. electrical work in the basement
2. Chest freezer in basement
3. No lights in basement
4. All the meals into the freezer in the basement on Friday night

Yes, I went down this morning to get bread out of the freezer, and low and behold the freezer was more like a Fridge. Kind of.

Now, we aren't that stupid. We did put the no electricity= no appliances thing together. But the washer and dryer were working and they are right next to the freezer on that side of basement. And one of the lights was working. And we just assumed that since that side of the basement was generally working, that the freezer outlet was on the same breaker and was working too.

Bad assumption.

So I have been salvaging food today. Just what I wanted to be doing today. Just what I needed to be doing today.

Things were starting to thaw, but in the bottom everything was still frozen, so I took out the mostly still frozen but starting to thaw chicken (9 pounds of it!) cooked it and cubed it. I am still debating how much of the other stuff I should risk keeping...

I could definitely use the donut right now.

4 comments:

joolee said...

ewww. That is bad. Happened to me once, though my freezer wasn't so recently and thoroughly stocked. Our freezer is in our tuck-under garage and I don't get to it that often. Just dragged out a pumpkin pie from last year that had shriveled up to half it's size. Also wondering if last year's extra Thanksgiving turkey is consumable????

I'm glad you didn't break your leg. But twins would have made for a super fun blog. Not that yours needs any help:)

Anonymous said...

Now twins would be cool! But what would happen if you had twins and were pushed over the "No more kids!" edge? Lincoln would get stuck as the middle child! Could you do that to him? :)

The Three 22nds said...

hey, it is not so bad being a middle child!

You do raise a point though that I have spent some time pondering.

Deacon and Roman are as thick as thieves, and the hypothetical twins hypothetically would be too. So that does leave Lincoln kind of in limbo. And he is somewhat needy, so I am not sure what that would do to his little psychie.

But God knows what he is doing, right?

Anonymous said...

At least it's cold outside, so you can just stick stuff out on the patio.