Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I wasn't going to go all Rob Bell literary style on you, but...

Judges 10:13-14



"But you have forsaken me and served other gods, so I will no longer save you. Go and cry out to the gods you have chosen. Let them save you when you are in trouble."



This verse convicts me.



I choose and serve things other than God.



Our nation chooses and serves people and things other than God.



We don't want the consequences for our actions.



It is never our fault.



We want to be bailed out.



We want a president who is willing to go to great measures to not let us be "punished" with a baby if we make a mistake.



We want a government who will make sure that everything is "fair", even if they must take from others to do so.



We want polititicans who promise to take care of us.



We want the treasury to bail out our banks so we don't have to take responsibility for our spending.



We call out to our gods.



But they can't save us.



So we call out to God.



But how long will he be merciful?


Psalm 57:1-3

1 Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
2 I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills {his purpose} for me.
3 He sends from heaven and saves me, rebuking those who hotly pursue me; Selah. God sends his love and his faithfulness.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Wow! This is so true and sobering. How long do we expect God to put up with a nation and people that has turned its back on Him? The depravity of this nation shocks me sometimes and I'm amazed at how far we've fallen.
This morning I was in front of our city's abortion clinic to sidewalk counsel (we offer help and resources to the moms going in and try to get them to change their minds and keep their babies.) When a fellow sidewalk counselor said something about God "forming us and knowing us in the womb" to a young man bringing his girlfriend in for an abortion, he turned around and scoffed, "God?! My god has horns!"
We prayed for them, of course, but it is just surprising that we live in a place where hearing these kinds of things are not uncommon and where people think it is their "right" to take the life of their unborn children.

But, God hears the cry of his people and has not abandoned us in spite of what is going on around us and for that I am thankful.

Unknown said...

My kids are memorizing Proverbs 21:1 right now ( hadn't planned it like this...) and it is encouraging to know that God is in control.
THe king's heart is in the hand of the Lord; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases. Proverbs 21:1