Monday, November 17, 2008

The Pout

Lincoln has been getting into trouble lately.

He is climbing things and opening things and turning things on that he is not supposed to climb on, open and touch.

Today he was opening the refrigerator. I told him not to and he continued. I got more firm with him and he turned around and walked away. I was pleasantly surprised, but only for a moment.

He turned and looked at me with The Pout.

And I said, "Don't do it Lincoln. Don't go there. If there is one action that you could take to make my sympathy for you disappear quickest, it would be The Pout".

I tell Roman to do something and he will occasionally do it, or he will occasionally look at me defiantly and say, "no ma'am". I can deal with that. I know he needs to obey, and we don't let it rest at "no ma'am". But at least he is willing to stand up for himself. He lets me know his intentions. He is bold.

But The Pout?

The Pout doesn't show a willingness to stand up for his little self. It doesn't show a boldness. Instead, by employing it he is attempting to use a passive aggressive measure to get his own little way.

And it is not going to work with us.

(I would post a picture, but I refuse to take a picture when he is pouting).

2 comments:

joolee said...

"No ma'am." I like that. And the fact that you're smart enough not to take the pouter's picture. Though I'd really like to see him in all his passive aggressive glory.

Heather of the EO said...

Is Lincoln Asher?

UGH.