Friday, October 17, 2008

WHY?!

I have a lot of people ask me how I manage to find things to blog about on a daily basis. And I say, "look at the stuff I post. Now. It is not always that interesting, is it? But let me tell you, that is only a very small percentage of what I think about."

Let me be honest with you: being a stay at home mom gives you ALOT of time to think about a large variety of topics. I am not saying that staying home with 3 active, needy, stubborn preschoolers is boring. Nor am I saying that it is easy. It is neither of those. But I do have a lot of time to think. And a lot of questions to force me to think.

It's like this. When I go to my paid job as a nurse I think the whole shift, but I am thinking about my job, my patients, my nursing knowledge base. You know, important stuff like, "Please blood pressure, come up. I don't want to have to call that crabby resident again. I don't think he knows what he is doing anyway." and, "I have a code brown in here. I need wipes, new linens and 4 extra hands pronto." or "This patient just doesn't look good. Something doesn't feel right. I'd better get the MD, do some heavier analysis and get the family back her." See, it is all "job related".

But when I am at home "job related" thoughts are really of a wide variety. And I have lots of time to think about them while I do laundry, wash dishes, monitor bathtime, play at the park, tie shoes etc. Sometimes I am talking with the kids as I am thinking, sometimes they are just talking amongst themselves.

Just today I had to think about and field all of these questions:

Questions from me to myself.

1. Why when I already cleaned up from lunch is there suddenly mac and cheese all over the floor?

2. Why is there always one child that doesn't want to do what everyone else wants to do?

3. Why are my children having a knock down, drag out fight in the shopping cart? (which I am pretty sure Heather of the EO's children witnessed).

4. Why shouldn't Deacon give away one of his 15 pairs of pajamas?

5. Why won't these people take naps?

6. I wonder if there are any other places in the world left that people could flee to to avoid religious persecution? (like the Pilgrims did)

7. Why do self proclaimed tolerant people refuse to tolerate Christians?

8. Why do Christians refuse to love like Jesus loved?

9. Why is it so hard to actually allow the Holy Spirit to work in your life?

10. Which of my friends should I call to announce my triumphant braiding 2 french braids on my own head accomplishment? (Deacon suggested Teacher Liz. Why? "Because she likes braids, she likes clothes and she likes you".)

Questions from the boys:

1. Why are people killing the Christians in Sudan?

2. How do you know that Christians are dying in Sudan?

3. How do the people who live in the Sahara desert get enough water?

4. Why can't I go to Australia?

5. The people going to the promised land were slaves under Pharaoh, that is kind of what you are talking about the American slaves, right mom?

6. Why are we cutting flowers?

7. Why aren't there so many bees out today?

8. Why can't we have donuts today?

9. Why don't I need 15 pairs of pajamas?

10. Why can't we watch TV in the morning?

11. Why do I have to put pants on over my shorts when we leave the house?

12. Where did the pilgrims eat on the Mayflower?

13. Is this picture supposed to be the flower boat?


And many more...and because of today's questions I continue to have things to think about tomorrow. And I really want to read William Bradford's memoirs...

3 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

I have so many questions to add to your questions:
1. Was that a joke about my kids witnessing your kids in the cart? Am I forgetting an on-going bloggy joke? Have I lost my mind?

2. How did you get inside my head and ask all my same questions and then rattle off questions my boys ask me?

3. Where does the sneaky mac and cheese come from post clean-up?

Etc.

Unknown said...

Hey I can put 2 french braids in my hair too...never could even french braid my hair before coming here to Brasil. Good questions...tell me when you find some of the answers(:

Anonymous said...

If William Bradford's memoir is the same as Of Plymouth Plantation, you are welcome to read my copy. A few years ago I bored Genna nearly to tears with it.