Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What would you do with...

a new room in your house?



We have a partial basement, and if everything goes as planned, we are set to finish the majority of it this fall/winter. Basically, we are turning it into a storage/furnace room, a laundry room and a finished "bedroom". But we won't use it as a bedroom...instead it will be our schoolroom! Yeah!



I have always wanted "The Room". I want it to be large with counters and stools around 2 sides like workbenches. Then I want cupboards all around those two sides above the workbenches. On the opposite corner I want bookshelves, couches and chairs. In the middle I want a large table. The floor will be cleanable. Tile or something. and there will be windows. Our computer will be set up in there and it will be an office/schoolroom/project room/family room. Ideally it would be right off the kitchen. If we had this room I am pretty sure we would spend 80% of our non sleeping time there.



So the room we are finishing is not going to be big enough for all of that, but it will be big enough for a table, cupboards, maybe a comfy chair and some bookshelves.

Here is the question: If you had an "extra" room that you could do with what you wanted, what would you use it for? Would it be a music room? A plant room? A library? Tell me!

7 comments:

Kim said...

I have that room, but it is full of cobwebs and very little light.

Eventually I want it to have lots of light and cupboards, and countertop at desk height all the way around. One wall would be my sewing machine and suppiles, one would be my scrapbooking and crafting supplies, and the 3rd would be things like my ironing board and gift wrapping supplies.

Someday.

Heather of the EO said...

It would be mommy's time out room. Nothing but a big comfy chair, some coffee (magically made at all times) and nice smells. And books. Lots and lots of books :)

joolee said...

Oh dear, I find that it's best for my overall happiness and contentment quotient not to even dream such crazy dreams......but I am absolutely convinced that 99% of the daily problems I face could be solved with this single room. Nothing spectacular......just big enough for a piano, a large workspace, and lots and lots of shelves and storage. Home schooling and all the books and books and books that go along with such an endeavor have totally overtaken our home. Aaah, to dream is to believe....to believe is to achieve.....to achieve is to succeed. But where does the money come from?

Anonymous said...

I'd put in a combination guitar storage room / walk-in humidor.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I think maybe a studio for arts/crafts with a nice sunny area on one side of the room where I could start plant seedlings. I guess that would make it a studio/greenhouse.

Matt said...

I'd make an exercise room, put all the weight equipment, treadmill, bikes, etc. in there - along with a TV and radio for entertainment. Oh, and it would be nice to put a game system in there as well (I've played Xbox while riding a stationary bike, it works pretty well!)

Billi Jo said...

I have a ‘room’. I just need to convince everyone that it is indeed My Room and NOT the place for the unwanted, miscellaneous, and broken. It supposedly has cupboards, but you can’t open them because of the piles of coloring books, boxes of crayons and markers, and stickers books. And a big long counter top (that actually has scrapbooking stuff on it) the last bit of mommy space. It has two closets, yes two, but again to open them would require a moving van. Want I really want, is a weekend home alone, to clean it out and claim it as Mine. Sorry I got a little carried away. But you did ask us to dream.