Monday, October 27, 2008

Things I Applaud: Frugality

I have always been tight with my money. Every since I was a little kid. I liked to have a lot of it stored up in the bank. I still do. Noah, on the other hand, likes to spend money. I will say, "if you were not married to me you would still be living in your parent's basement with a lot of expensive toys!" and he counters back, "if we hadn't gotten married you would live in a small apartment with a million bucks in your mattress!"

And those statements, although maybe slightly exaggerated, are in essence the way we work. I buy generic everything, he likes to think that brand name sugar probably tastes better. Thankfully, over the 8 years that we have been married he has at least conceded on most of the grocery items.

Now, I am not a big couponer/deal hunter. I do not have the patience and time and temperment for it. I just have certain policies that I follow, things like I never spend more than $20 on a pair of jeans for myself (I know, to some of you that sounds way excessive, and others of you are looking down your noses at me.)

But I am, as Noah calls me, a poor snob. That means that I am very impressed with people who brag about how little they spent on something and not so impressed with people who brag about how much they spent on something.

Here is my friend Becki at her wedding. Her wedding dress was $7. And that was when her sister Rachel bought it for her wedding. So technically, it was like $3.50.

And she looked beautiful. And she and Matt got married. And the dress was white. What more matters?




Anyway, with the economy the way it is, and people losing jobs etc. I have been thinking a lot more about being content with what I have, being responsible with what I have been given, and being more Heavenly minded about what I spend.

2 weeks ago when I thought Noah might lose his job, I started realizing just how much money we waste, even with my frugal nature. Just how many things I desire that I don't need, just how many people throughout the world have nothing when we have everything.

Now, I am still not ready to give up the dream of having a few acres to let the kids run wild on, or a large room to have guests over in. Nor am I giving up the dream of repadding my kitchen chairs...but it does mean that like Kim , you will still find me digging out the hand-me-down snowpants and being really happy when I get to use my $10 Kohls cash to get new sunglasses, 9 pairs of jockey underwear and a tank top. Go 90% off!

8 comments:

Matt said...

YAY! Becki and I made it to the front page of the blog!! I'm not sure why, but hey, it's like being 'internet famous.'

The Three 22nds said...

Now you can see why! I accidently published as I was typing, so I had to edit...

Matt said...

Ah, yeah, that makes sense now - and you're right, she did look very beautiful that day!
This is a good post, I think a lot of people get caught up in what they want, and not appreciate what they have (I am so very much included in that statement) - maybe if I lived in one of these I'd appreciate every thing a little more:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gate/archive/2007/04/27/carollloyd.DTL

Anonymous said...

A comment not on frugality, but on books.
I was reading World magazine, and the current issue has an article on the current chairman of the National Endowment of the Arts (NEA). An NEA study "indicated that shelves of books are more important than income or parental educational background. Homes with 10 or fewer books yield the lowest test scores, and the scores increase steadily with more books in the home, in history, civics, math, and science.
...'"Students of high-school educated parents living in homes with more than 100 books outscored students with college-educated parents and 0-10 books at home,"' the study notes. ...just seeing some books on the shelves around home can launch a life of reading that opens many other doors. But it's even better when the parents - and adults who love children - take those books off the shelves and read them aloud to young children."
My children ought to be geniuses!!!

The Three 22nds said...

Sorry Mom. I'm smart, but not a genius.

Love you though,

-N

Heather of the EO said...

I love this. ME TOO. Way too frugal really. But I like it that way. Pretty much everything in our house was given to us. I just can't bring myself to spend money on STUFF.

And the stuff that has been given to us? Well, to be honest, I purge a lot of that too. If my husband weren't a bit of a pack rat, I think our house would be empty. :)

joolee said...

Oooh, I like Grandma Debbie's comment:) And I am very frugal with the books I buy so I can fill my shelves......and pile them on the floor and on the end tables and under beds....... Speaking of frugality, I have a whole bunch of Happenings coupons that expire in a week. 50% meal out....here i come!

EDW said...

I totally know where you are coming from with being a poor snob! I get excited over great deals and am very proud of my free/cheap wedding dress . . . especially since many I shopped around for weren't significantly better anyway. When it was used for my sister's wedding, I was excited, too, because we found my bridesmaid's dress at the thrift store for 99 cents! And it is now one of my favorite dresses!