Saturday, October 11, 2008

The One Where Julie Almost Throws the Newlyweds Out of Her House

I stole this title format from the hilarious Joolee , who I think stole it from someone else, who I am sure stole it from Friends.

It seemed perfect for this situation.

Noah was gone this evening, hanging out with his bachelor friends. Well, they are not all bachelors, but they don't all have 3 kids and a lovely, sweet wife at home lamenting their absence like he does. And boy did I miss him tonight!

One of my friends, Becki (the names have not been changed to protect the innocent, because, quite frankly, they are not innocent) wanted to play Settlers this evening. Since I have children I said that I would like to play at my house but that it would just be me because Noah was not going to be home (perfect place for a stike through, but I don't know how!).

Anyway, as it turned out we got a game together. Me and 2 relatively newlywed couples. Me. Non-sappy, hyper-competitive me. Me and two relatively sappy (no offense guys), not so competitive newly-wed couples. I missed Noah.

But it was ok until the end of the second game. They threw the game. Totally threw the game. Both of the other women took turns attempting to get their men to win. And one succeeded. Even though, had the game not been thrown, I would have won. This is where the title comes in. Seriously. I know that all you Non-Sappy, Hyper-competitive people out there get this. I know that you are pounding your keyboards now at the injustice of it all. To the rest of you: throwing the game is really, really bad (especially when you throw it to your "sweetie" and especially when I had already had to state that you can ONLY TRADE THINGS RELATED TO THE GAME AND NOT EXTRA FAVORS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, BACKRUBS, NOT SLEEPING ON THE COUCH, AND FOOT MASSAGES!).

I attempted to explain later the difference. I will "help" someone take away the largest army or longest road to PROLONG THE GAME so that I can have more time for the ultimate goal: ME WINNING! But blatantly "helping" someone so that they just win. Not cool. Not cool at all.

My blood pressure is slowly coming down. I blame some of it on all the junk I ate after my 5K this morning, but mostly I blame it on the GAME THROWING. I asked Mike if it felt good to win after not really earning it. It apparently didn't really bother him.

I told Matt, Becki, Mike and Jenni that I was going to blog about this. So I have. I really was annoyed about it. I wasn't just kidding. But I will get over it. And I still like all of you. And I will invite you back (0r let you invite yourselves back). Probably. There may have to be a moderator.

And I may bring this obsession with justice, fairness and winning up at my next therapy session. Maybe in time I will work through it and be able to play a game "just for fun"????? Or maybe not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For shame!

Billi Jo said...

The nerve. The audacity. My blood is boiling. I’d make them beg to return to your home. And they are definitely off limits to the game.

joolee said...

I am definitely "pounding my keyboard at the injustice of it all!" Loved this post Julie! Loved it! Because it was really funny AND because I totally know how you feel. Well, not totally, cuz I know better than to play the ultimate game with newlyweds, without my husband. Now you know.

As a general rule, I try to stay away from newlyweds in general......much like antibiotics and mixed vegetables..... they make me puke in my mouth.

p.s. I've also found that another way to suck all the fun out of settlers is to play with only women. A crucial ingredient to the game is a tidge of testosterone.

joolee said...

I had to read this post again it was so funny:) And because I also love strike outs, here is a quick mini tutorial.

Some night when we're all "lamenting our husbands' absences", < s >I should school you in some < / s > we should play a friendly game of online catan;)

< s > what you want to strike out < / s >

there should not be spaces between the tags....I had to put these in to allow it to post cuz strike thrus are forbidden in comments.

Unknown said...

Oh man...I totally feel your pain, especially since I have played with those newlyweds..before they were married (and after with Mike/Jenni)...
My heart hurts for you...sorry I wasn't there...but kind of glad that I wasn't cause I wouldn't have been able to sleep after that game.
Just 60 more days and we can a play a REAL game-just not 3 in a row with only the 3 of us...we nearly killed each other!

Rachel said...

Thanks for the laughs Julie! And the prayers! It feels good to laugh and feel sorry for someone else. Keep the funny posts coming!