Sunday, October 12, 2008

Anyone Want to Drain the Great Lakes?

Like everyone else, we have been inundated with political ads. Usually in the van we listen to the kids CDs. Apparently not all of the time though.

On Friday we were at Noah's parents house and Deacon clearly announced, "Does anyone want to hear what I learned about Al Franken?" I winced. What was he going to say?

He went on to say, "Al Franken wants to drain the lakes and turn them into parking lots. Isn't that ridiculous?" And then he laughed.

Here is the funny thing. That ad is PRO Al Franken. It goes on to say that his opponents claims about him are ridiculous. But now my 4 year old is spreading rumors that he really wants to turn the Great Lakes into parking lots. I don't think that is exactly what the Franken group was going for.

And on the power of observation,

Roman really likes Berenstain Bear books. We have been reading the Messy Room one a lot lately. In the middle of the book there is a picture that he always gets agitated about. I finally figured out that he is wondering why Sister Bear does not have her pink bow in her hair in that picture. I hadn't even noticed that Sister Bear was not wearing her bow.

Roman thinks that the mom was so mad about the room being messy that she took Sister's bow away. I suggested that the artist maybe thought that from that angle you just couldn't see Sister's bow. Then I asked him, "Do you really think that the mom was MAD, or do you think she was just frustrated about always having to do the work?" He said, "I think she was just mad."

After he left I looked through the book. Sure enough, in every other picture where you could see Sister's whole head she had her bow in. It is just so amazing to me that he picked up on that inconsistency.

3 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

You've got some smart boys over there!
My mom used to steal my pink bow too...
Not really.
Just making lame jokes as usual...

Unknown said...

Wow if I don't think that Al whatever is going to win...no one wants the Great Lakes to turn into parking lots! I will be thinking of Dekes now when I vote...

Anonymous said...

It totally made my day when I walked into the room and heard the words "Al Fwanken" coming out of his mouth. :)