Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tag Team Parenting

It has been a looonngg day. I need a shower and some food and then just to curl up with a book. But the house needs to be cleaned, Bible study needs to get done, laundry needs to get set up for the start of 36 hour weekly laundry fest and thank yous need to get written.

The kids and I hung out around the house this morning, trying to prepare for the day and instituting a new "screen time" award system. Then it was lunch and off to Gym and Swim for the afternoon. I actually swam with Roman today which was fun, and also got a 3.5 mile run walk in. Deacon did a .5 mile run/walk with very little walking. Straight from there I drove to my moms to drop the boys off so I could go into work for a few hours to help out a coworker.

Noah picked the boys up and then got a babysitter so he could get to his meeting. I came home from work and threw everyone in the van to bring the babysitter home. Then we had to stop for gas. Finally everyone is home and in bed. It was a lot of work! Especially in sub zero temps!

Everytime I work an evening shift I suddenly remember how stressful it is. It feels like you spend the whole day preparing for it and getting geared up for it and you go straight from Mommy to nurse without a break.

That is why I like working nights. I help put the kids in bed and then take a 1-2 hour nap. Get up, take my time getting ready and go into work. In the morning I sleep while the kids are at my moms. I guess it is important to me to have the transitions before I jump into the next mode.

Now, I'd better get started on my list or I will never get to my book!

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

thanks for visiting my blog! So how old are your boys?

take care,
Beth

Erin said...

I was thinking of how much you do while you were writing it (plus you got exercise in - good for you!) And you are right; the switch from Mommy to nurse is probably a tough one some days.