Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Looming Figure

I just returned from spending a long evening with some friends, most of whom are younger and cooler then I am. But it was fun, even though looming over my head were the thoughts of paint that should be on the cabinets, blog posts that should be written, laundry that is obscuring my bed and toys that are covering almost every square inch of my floor.

Oh, and the new steam cleaner I got for Christmas that I haven't used yet.

We need a pirate ship manager. Noah told me today that I need to take a "more active role" to ensure that all of the pieces of the playmobil pirate ship stay together. Apparently I now need to not only monitor the real apples in my kitchen, I also need to keep track of the Pirate's apples, beets and carrots. I suggested that we take the small pieces and put them in a bag and hide them for now. Why did that even come up? I am not quite sure...

Where was I? Oh yes, Looming figures. I was driving down an unfamilier road in very snowy, slippery conditions. I got home safely but could not get my car up my driveway because, well, my driveway is steep and slippery and snowy. Wait. Did I just say car? I have apparently been hanging around my cool, young friends too much. Hi. My name is Julie. I am 28 and I drive a minivan.

I couldn't get my minivan up the driveway. I was halfway up and stuck. So I backed up and tried again. It was worse. That time the van was stuck with my back van end practically on the street. So I got out and started shoveling. Noah had stuck the Christmas tree (yes, children. Christmas is over. The tree is dead. Did you hear me? It is deeeeaaaddddddddddddd. Did you know that it actually has been dead for several weeks now? We have a green, dead tree in our house and needles all over the floor. Noah interjects: "even though mommy took your tree away, the spirit of Christmas- love, generosity and the sweet baby Jesus-can live all year long in your hearts". Did he just say that? Seriously?)

Anyway, as I shoveled, I kept catching the tree out of the corner of my eye. It was continually scaring me because I felt like a dark, looming figure was lurking on my snow drift.

Ok, I titled my post after that sentence. Wow.

Do you remember the scene in Aladdin where they almost cut off someone's hand? I discovered that I know very little about Disney movies. I haven't seen most Disney movies in probably roughly 15 years. I remember approximately 1 thing out of each movie that I have seen and apparently there are several that I haven't seen. I don't know anything out of those. I have a very low movie IQ.

Our VCR is broken. We have a handful of VHS movies, but obviously they are currently useless to us. We have 18 non kid DVDs in our house right now. 11 of them belong to us, 6 to others, and 1 I have no idea where it came from. Of the 11 that belong to us, 6 of them are nonfiction commentary kind of things. So if you are following along with the math you know that we have 5 "fun" DVDs. Oh, and Season 1 of Dark Angel.

They are:
The Matrix (which I haven't seen)
Princess Bride
Passion of the Christ (which I haven't seen)
Lady Hawke (is that one ours??!!)
Pirates of the Caribbean

I am beginning to get a feel for why my movie IQ may be low. Well, the lack of movies that I have seen and the fact that I fall asleep during most movies.

I have decided that I have chronic fatigue syndrome or something, but today my friends staged an intervention for me and told me that the problem is that I just don't sleep much and that is why I am tired.

So, to answer your question. No, I am not drunk. I am just tired. Good night, and GO VIKINGS! (that one is for you, baby sister)

4 comments:

EDW said...

I, too, have a low Disney IQ. Especially when it comes to acting out characters in Disney Movies. And when a lot of them are random side characters who don't play much of a role . . . oh well, we were good at the trivia game, at least=-)

Unknown said...

I think that I was amazing at the Disney game...Jenni makes an amazing dinosaur!!! Oh and I am not toooooo upset about the vikings... there is always next season(:

Anonymous said...

Did your hubby really say that? "Take a more active role?" That is hysterical! I guess that's I'm-trying-real-hard-to-not-get-sent-to-the-doghouse lingo! I wonder what my hubby thinks I need to take a more active role in? Dishes? =)

I enjoy your humorous ramblings!

Anonymous said...

That was me in the anon. comment.
Mrs. Jo