Tuesday, September 23, 2008

One of the Best Things We've Done

Breastfed babies end up in their parents beds. A lot. Especially when it is cold and dark and it is a middle of the night feeding...

With both Deacon and Roman I would always start them out in their bed, but about the time of the first feeding after midnight, I would haul them to bed with us and there they would sleep. All cozy and warm and happy. And close to their food supply. They like that.

And I liked it. Kind of. But I didn't sleep hard. It certainly was easier and since I don't drink or take sleeping aids, it seemed unlikely that I would squish them. So we carried on that way.

And then it was getting closer to the time for Lincoln to be born. And I was thinking about co sleeping. And I decided that I didn't want to do it again. I realized that with 3 kids 3 and under that I was going to need to sleep well at night, and quite frankly I did not sleep well co-sleeping. So I decided that I would not take him to bed with me. I would nurse him in the chair and put him back to bed. And I would put him to bed awake if at all possible. And so that was what I did. And we loved it. And we still love it.

He is our best sleeper! We never had to do the cry it out thing like we did with our other two because he knows how to put himself to sleep. He is our best napper- and I attribute at least some of it to being used to sleeping unassisted and alone. He genuinely likes his bed and he is literally a JOY to put to bed. (so he puts on a little screaming show now at 16months, but he quiets down very quickly)

I know it seems like an odd time to post this, but I actually still think about it every night when I just put him in his crib and he goes to sleep. The results of my training him from the beginning are definitely paying off...

3 comments:

joolee said...

We never got into the whole co-sleeping thing either. And I agree, the training DEFINITELY pays off.

The Clutters said...

I agree too! The few times that Natalie has slept with us, I didn't sleep well at all. We also lay her down and she puts herself to sleep. That is so nice!

Heather of the EO said...

This is so interesting to me. Both of my boys were TERRIBLE sleepers. We didn't co-sleep because I'm a total freak and wouldn't be able to sleep one wink. But I know people who sleep MUCH better co-sleeping, even if they sort of pay for it later when their kids need to be re-programmed.
Anyway, my boys did eventually sleep well in their own crib, but it took 6+ months both times, up every two hours until then!
Ew.