Saturday, September 27, 2008

7 Quirky Things



I got tagged by Heather to share some quirky facts about myself. She tagged me, I think, because she thinks a) that I will have some quirky things to share and, b) she thinks she is faster then me. Heather, I demand a footrace. Right here, right now!

Maybe not here, not now. But definitely sometime before October 11th, because after that I think I will stop running for awhile. Or maybe I won't. It is addicting. Kind of. In a "I despise this but I must. keep. going." kind of way. But I digress.


Here are my 7:

1. I can't say "graffiti" unless someone else says it first. I try to say it in my head and I just can't get it right. And then someone else says it and then I can say it for awhile until it has been too long and I can't replay them saying it in my head anymore. Then I have to go back to, "I am so glad my kid can't read yet. You can't imagine what some kid spraypainted all over the park this morning". And other creative ways of avoiding "that" word.

2. I won't hostess a garage sale. It is too stressful. I love to go to garage sales, but I just can't have my own. I have a paralyzing fear of people laughing at my junk. (Isn't that a nice way of putting it? Not "I won't have a garage sale", but "I won't hostess a garage sale" It sounds like a perfectly pleasant tea or something, doesn't it?)

3. I do all kinds of nasty, disgusting, gross things at my job. Things I won't even tell you about because I may lose readers. And I don't have that many anyway. Inspite of that, however, I get SERIOUSLY grossed out by dogs licking me. I just can't stand it. So if you have a dog and I come over and I am wearing my orange prison jumpsuit with gloves, that is why.

4. My first work of art was a melted pen sculpture I named, "Jot and Tittle" (can anyone guess why? I put a bunch of pens on aluminum foil and melted them in the oven. I was convinced that if I only tried I could get it into the modern art museum downtown. I wonder where that sculpture is?... I could sure use my 15 minutes of fame now...

5. When I run or swim laps I have to keep track. If I get off by one I always take the lower number and start from there. If I get off by more than 1 my whole workout is shot. I just can't mentally recover from it.

6. I am totally paranoid about bridges and steep hills. Seattle was not the most therapeutic place for someone with those fears. I had trouble with bridges long before the tragic bridge collapse, but after the collapse, it got worse. I carried life jackets in the back of my van for months! I also worked out careful escape plans for if it ever happened to me with a van full of kids. And the steep hills? Well, I used to have a recurring dream in which I was driving up a hill and it got so steep that the car flipped over backwards. I used to ask people if that could actually ever happen. I never got a good answer. I should send it to those "Myth Debunked" guys. That show is a life changer.

7. I love historical museums. Even if they are one room deals in tiny counties. I still like to go to them and I always learn some small tidbit.

I am sure they would have been much more interesting if Noah had been home to point some out to me...




Now I am supposed to tag some people, but since this is already going around my blog network, I don't have many blog friends to tag that haven't been tagged already. So sad. I know. But I do have A LOT of lurkers. So here is the deal. I know it is the weekend, but I want my dear and faithful readers (not just lurkers, any readers) to write their 7 quirks in my comments section. I will not post again until I have 7. So, if you want to read about my controversial topic and dream with me about houses and see more pictures of your adorable grandchildren, I would suggest you get to writing about your quirks :)



oh...one more thing about me. I am not sweet. Real life conversation:



The setting: Noah and I sitting in the van, in our driveway ,in the dark, and drinking Arctic Rushes. His cherry, mine watermelon. (did I tell you he isn't drinking pop until his 30th birthday?)



Noah: "The problem with Arctic Rushes, or Mr. Misty's, is that they are so sweet. I think they should be a little more tart."

Julie: "I like them sweet. I don't wish they were tart. I like sweet, because I am sweet."

Noah (with a playful grin): "yes, you are so sweet."

Julie: "Who are we kidding. I am totally not sweet."

Noah: "Totally not".

So there you have it. I am not sweet. So start telling me and the rest of the world your quirks!

14 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

I love your quirks. I'm so curious about what gross and disgusting things you do at work?

hmmm...I'm sitting here picturing you picking your nose.

Thanks for playing along!

Sabrina said...

Hey! I just wanted you to know that you were the 2nd runner up with your name for the new Twin's Stadium! Nice job! Thanks for participating! :)

Anonymous said...

Here are seven random facts about me and others related to this blog, since I want to hear what’s so controversial:

1. I met Julie and Noah when I was two and they were three and four, respectively. Julie quickly became my best friend. Noah and I didn’t get along so well at first.

2. In fact, once I kicked him and my mom made me call and apologize. It really was an effective punishment, and I don’t think I ever did it again. I mean I never kicked him again, although I don’t think I ever called him again either.

3. At least one of my friends always had a crush on Noah, so back then I never tried to like him too much – didn’t want to make any friends jealous.

4. Julie first told me she liked Noah when I was eleven, I believe.

5. Julie and I had lots of fun together playing “Escape from the Orphanage”, “Gross Soup Contest”, “FBI Agent” and other games she made up. We also read the same books, “whittled” with Swiss Army knives, played Barbies and Ponies, and put on plays. And we started several clubs, including one with a fabulous clubhouse in her garage rafters.

6. Julie’s mom made the very best Macaroni and Cheese from scratch (using Velveeta!) and “Dutch Babies” (pannekoeken or oven pancake) for breakfast. I still use the recipe Julie wrote out for me long ago.

7. “Joolee” from “A Spot on the Sopha” blog was my favorite babysitter. When I started babysitting, I tried to be like her and bring fun things for the kids to play with (once she brought us small cans of Play-Doh!). She also always played with us and would tell us youth group gossip as a bedtime story (after a LOT of begging on our part!).

Sally

Unknown said...

Ok so I am pretty sure the pen sculpture was thrown out by either you or mom...I remember trying to save my favorite part... the tip of the pen that had shot out of the one pen.

Ok here are some quirks I came up with...I had to otherwise I would never hear from you since you NEVER call or email(: love ya

1. When I was young (won't say how old)I always had one of my hands up by my neckline...cause I think I had a fear that someone could see down my shirt or something...for those of you who know me- did you ever notice how I did that? I was a strange child.
2. For awhile I washed my hands all the time cause I was worried they were dirty or something....I had very red/chapped hands.
3. My dad and I both do this...talk about DJs on the radio like we know them...it drives my mom crazy.
4.I am a terrible speller and have to spell check everything or just use another word.
5. I love sports but I am terrible at them all...
6. You know those little packs of sugar for coffee? I will take one and just eat it (or sometimes more then one)I LOVE SUGAR
7. When I was little I would play by myself and act out everything...and my loving sisters would sit outside my room and listen! I still like imagining things and I love to act.

Ok so I know everyone probably thinks I am crazy cause those were crazy quirks...but I turned out ok...I think(: You should also feel privileged cause I had never told anyone some of those before.

LS said...

7 quirky things about me:
1. I can't stand dirty feet and have to wash them before bed or wash my kids' feet before naptime.
2. I am so terrified of mice that if someone throws a black shoestring wad at me and says it's a mouse I will scream and cry.
3. I think blogging is therapeutic and inspiring.
4. I don't care what some people think of me and care too much what other people think of me.
5. I think laughing is fun and like reading funny stories just so I can laugh.
6. Now that I have DSL I watch America's Funniest Home Videos just to laugh.
7. Most people think I'm sweet and demure but my family knows I'm a ruthless, hard-core debater who loves arguing just for sport!

joolee said...

*GASP*
Sally, Sally, Sally......I would NEVER substitute youth group gossip for a bedtime story!!
Another *GASP!*
However, I am honored that I was your favorite babysitter:) Seriously, I don't remember ANY of the things you people accuse me of!!! I shudder to think......

Matt said...

Okay, so it looks like I'll be the 4th commenter to list quirks:

0. I'm a geek, so much so that many times I thinking of counting from zero, because that's how it works with most of the computer stuff I deal with.

1. I started playing the guitar in 8th grade after watching The Beatle's Anthology on TV. Unfortunately I'm not good enough where I normally tell people how long I've been playing :-)

2. I don't like socks, they've always felt constricting. This is why I wear sandals as often as possible.

3. I started leaving comments on Julie's blog after hearing her discuss the "lurkers" who read but never post anything.

4. I have been known to brush my teeth so fast that I pull the toothbrush out of my mouth too far, and when I put it back in I jam it into my gums, giving myself a canker sore - *ouch*

5. I had trouble pronouncing my L's when I was a child. Instead of saying "Lion" I'd say "Rion". Fortunately my day-care provider's husband was the speech therapist at the local school, so he decided to help me sooner rather than later - he figured he'd have seen me when I was going through school anyway.

6. I must be completely self-centered, as every point I've made has started with "I".

Anonymous said...

I don't like being blackmailed, but we do need those pictures, so here goes...
1)I love to pull weeds!
2)I like to put things in rainbow order (while playing cars with my grandsons, back when I had a clothesline, all my multicolored bath towels..., you get the idea)
3)I eat semisweet chocolate chips at 4pm, though some days it is sooner!
4)Again the color thing...at intersections, parking lots, etc. I note the colors of the cars(this whole row is white and silver, or every car at the corner is black)
5)I do not fear high overpasses in general, but I can NOT go on the airport turnaround anymore...last time was at 20mph sweating and shaking.
6)I'm with you,Joolie, I will rearrange any misplaced dish, though I do try to be creative at times.?.
7)I used to only be able to sleep with my fluffy pink bathrobe on top of the bed...but now I am so HOT HOT HOT!
I know my family could point out more, but hey, everybody is different; some people are just more different than others!

hcomstock said...

Hmm, my quirks...
1. I am a lurker on Julie's blog :)
2. I count things, I have since I was little, how many tiles I walk across on the floor, how many times I chew my food, but I stop once I realize I'm doing it (isn't there a three-letter acronym for that behavioral disorder?!) ;-)
3. I like to have the bed made before I get into it, even if it's been unmade all day
4. I put "ah" at the end of words when I'm mad, for example "No-ah!", "Yes-ah!" Don't ask me why, I don't think it helps get my point across!
5. I love dairy queen, but I won't buy any unless someone else is getting some with me (my husband doesn't really like sweets, so it's not very often I get my precious treat!).
6. I give my puppy kisses and love it when he give me kisses (it's much better than his bites, ouch!). Julie I bet you can't wait to come over! heehee
7. I always wave out the window at my husband when he leaves, even if he is just going to the store and coming back in a few minutes. :)

Anonymous said...

I’m not sure where quirky ends and obsessive/compulsive begins...

1. When I was a child growing up in small town Iowa, we would occasionally shop in Des Moines. Younkers department store had an elevator. I decided after riding in it that the person with the most perfect job in the whole world was the elevator operator. To enjoy that sensation all day long! That was my first career aspiration.

2. I love strawberries, and I love ice cream. I love ice cream with strawberries on top. I don’t particularly like strawberry ice cream.

3. I enjoy discovering dead people who are related to me. (Genealogy.)

4. I like words. As I drive or ride in the car, I take the three letters on the license plate of another car and try to come up with a word that contains those letters. The letters must be in the same order within the word, and proper nouns do not count.

5. At work, I use four computer programs. I always open them in the same order. If I accidentally close one instead of minimizing it, I close the programs and reopen them in the preferred order.

6. Sometimes in my dreams I say witty and clever things that make others laugh.
That is not one of my gifts when I’m awake. Once I woke up just after saying something witty in a dream. Not only was it not witty or clever – it didn’t even make sense!

7. I can tell you today what each of the nine individuals at our Bible Study last night was wearing. I can tell you what each of the nine children I taught yesterday in Kid’s Worship was wearing. I can tell you what each of the people at my office wore today. I don’t make a conscious effort to make a mental note of what people wear. I just wish my brain made mental notes of more important things!

Anonymous said...

Alright, I need to see some cute nephew pics, so here are my 7 Quirks:

1. I know the jingle to virtually every product on the market (at least the ones on TV). I do watch too much TV, but mainly they just get stuck in my head... really...

2. Related to the above: I refuse to buy Daisy Sour Cream because they have the most annoying jingle ever! It once was stuck in my head for three days straight.

3. The clothes in my closet are arranged by item (tanks, t's, long sleeve shirts, dress shirts, etc) and then are in rainbow order within each category.

4. I love to vacuum

5. I don't feel fully rested unless I get at least 9 hours of sleep. (I'm tired a lot!)

6. I'd rather have a live bug flying or crawling around the room than have to squish it and see it's insides come out. Gross!

7. I sometimes eat cereal and milk for 2 or 3 meals in a day. Not some crazy diet, I just love cereal.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll just add my two pennies. My seven random and/or quirky facts:

1. I keep boxes of fruit snacks stashed in my locker at Bethel.

2. It bothers me that I can’t keep the rubber clean while I’m pitching.

3. If I throw a pitch that was better than the one before it but still not good enough, I snap my fingers twice.

4. When I buy sandwiches at Bethel, I eat the cheese separately and rearrange the turkey.

5. If the pencil isn’t sharpened to a fine point, it’s barely worth using.

6. It drives me crazy the way some people try to keep physical contact at a minimum when hugging. If you want to get strong, you have to do hug-ups and buddy crunches! :)

7. There’s a big rip/hole in the side of my shoe, and if it were a little more practical, that’s totally where I would carry my knife. It makes me feel like a spy. :)

Lesley said...

I loved this post -- it was hysterical. I would list 7 quirks for you but the sleep deprivation has taken its toll and I can't think at the moment. So maybe another time...

Anyway! What I wanted to say was thank you for the tips and encouragement with my latest baby trials. I don't think Christian has reflux because he really doesn't spit up a ton and when he does, it's usually just a dribble. Not always, but usually. But I've always kept the reflux thing in mind in case that changes.

I think he's just plain gassy and it irritates him. My only hope is that one day he WILL grow up. Like when he's a teenager, he won't be keeping me up at night because of it. (well I hope not anyway, that would be too bizarre) His one month check-up is tomorrow and I'm going to let the doc know what's been going on. Maybe she'll have some fabulous tip I haven't tried yet that will actually work. So I'm rambling, but yeah, your kids are just too cute and thanks again. :)

The Three 22nds said...

Genna, amen to number 5. When I was at Bethel. I would take a whole handful of pencils to a test. Each pencil got to work one problem, two tops.