Monday, September 8, 2008

And the winner is...

This was tough. Really tough. I actually had some friends over last night and I pulled out the 8 parodies and we voted. And we all liked different ones. But after rehashing pros and cons and criteria and singing along on youtube, we decided on the one that we thought best fit the original lyrics/music with the highest degree of complexity.

Because if we just went on lyrics alone or cleverest lyrics there were a lot more differing opinions.

Anyway, it was really fun and congratulations to Jamie, our new parody winner! Jamie is my creative neighbor and (in her words) I "shamed" her into entering. Aren't you glad you did? :)

Parody of Simon and Garfunkel’s “Sound of Silence”

The Sound of Silence
Hello bedtime, my old friend
It’s finally that time again
But now a child softly creeping
Down the hallway while I am sleeping
Disrupts my sleep and leaves a pounding in my brain
Still remains
So much for sounds of silence

A peaceful slumber I enjoyed
But now I’m really quite annoyed
Daddy sleeps on in oblivion
I guess that means it’s mommy’s turn again
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a hallway light
That split the night
Disturbed the sound of silence

And in the hallway light I saw
One of my children, maybe more
A little shadow slowly creeping
A little figure that started speaking
“Mommy I need blankie and a sippy -- rub my back”
“I want a snack”
So much for peace and quiet

"Kids," said I, "I hope you know
One day you’ll have kids of your own
Then you’ll appreciate my sleepless nights
I toss and turn until the morning light”
But my words like silent raindrops fell
Oh well
Who needs the sounds of silence?

So out of bed I finally crawl
And slowly paddle down the hall
I know I don’t have long, they grow up soon
And they won’t want me to read ‘Goodnight Moon’
So I will cherish these moments as often as they come
“I love you mom”
Echos in the sound of silence



Oh, and here is the link to the original song:
Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel

I will be posting the other entries over the next couple days...watch for them! They are funny and creative and the speak to everyone's individuality!

5 comments:

joolee said...

WOW!!! That was absolutely fabulous!!!! Without having read the others, I would say you made the right choice! Glad I didn't lose too much sleep trying to finish mine......blown outta the water! Great job Jamie!

Heather of the EO said...

Joolee stole my comment. That was REALLY good.
Kudos to Jamie!

Billi Jo said...

Caught me huh? And I was trying so hard to be a creeper. JK. I love the idea of collecting and sharing my thoughts, grateful that I have a new network of friends in familiar stages of our lives. Hello to everyone else that follows this girl.

Anonymous said...

Thank you to everyone who voted, and to Julie for convincing me to enter! I am so excited!!!!

Kim said...

I sang Sound Of Silence in choir in high school, and it is one of those tunes that can get stuck in my head for days. These are awesome lyrics that still match the musicality of the melody. Wow. Great job!