Monday, November 30, 2009

Controversial Monday: All Dogs Go to Heaven

Lately Noah and I have been discussing animals in Heaven.

This started after one of my coworkers was lamenting the way that Turkeys are treated.

She is pretty sure that animals do go to Heaven.

My comment?

"There has sure been a lot of animals since the creation of the world. I hope Heaven is really big."

See, I am not an animal lover. In fact I am a little bit of an animal strong disliker.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like to watch majestic beasts on TV, or the zoo etc.

But animals slobbering on me? No thanks.

Cat diarrhea the human has to clean up? Forget it.

Slithering reptiles? Not my thing.

So to me a bunch of Canadian Geese or Turkeys cluttering up Heaven doesn't seem so great.

But maybe it would be ok.

The Bible doesn't really say if there will be Hyenas in Heaven.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Peter said...

I don't think animals "go" to heaven in the sense that animals who die on this earth exist in a resurrected/glorified state in heaven.

But, a new heaven/new earth that includes animals seems like a reasonable speculation.

Rachel said...

Nope, don't think animals go to heaven since they don't have souls that can be saved and aren't created in the image of God. And I'm totally with you on the animal thing. I have children to take care of so who needs more work. But I agree with Peter's last comment.

Anonymous said...

I don't think my dog has a soul with the ability to sin and repent. However, since it seems there will be animals in heaven and my dog is such an amazing creation (yes I need a child:) that God will just bring all the animals we know back to life. Kind of like he will be giving us new bodies:) Heidi

Unknown said...

And just to spice it up a little, what about baptisms for dogs? When I was home in Idaho at Christmas a few years ago, my friend confided that she just didn't fit in anymore at the (denomination will go unnamed) church she used to go to...they were heavily promoting a lifestyle she didn't feel was necessarily bad, but too exclusive for her tastes. She drew the line at holding baptisms for pets. That's when, she said, she knew that she was no longer part of that crowd. She missed the college days when she first came to Christ when she went to these really challenging Bible studies and people were eager to learn. Yeah, I could share her disappointment.