Friday, November 20, 2009

Why Buy?

I am struggling with what to get the boys for Christmas this year.

They don't need toys.

They don't need clothes.

They don't need books.

Deacon is a little easier. He wants stuff like ice skates, roller blades, a skateboard and a hockey stick. He would use those things. He would like those things.

But the little ones?

They want L. Mcqueen figures. And Batman caves.

And stuff that they just don't need.

I've thought about stuff for Roman's imaginary play.

Like a penguin suit.

But he is so cute in his footies, gloves and hat, combined with his true sense of bird royalty.

Or I could get them guitars to rock on.

But they seem perfectly content to use their swords as guitars, so why bother?

They use my pot lids as shields.

The piece of wood for the sliding glass door as a club.

My old studded belt and drape hooks as pirate bling.

They have bunkbeds for a pirate ship.

They have a folding chair and a Brazilian rug as a throne.

Under my bed is the new campground.

And they are happy.

So why rock the boat?

(what are you getting your kids for Christmas? Any great ideas that I could borrow?)

3 comments:

Kim said...

I think you are on the right track with gifts to foster their imaginative play.

My boys are getting super hero capes (Super E and Super J) and play food that I'm making out of felt. (I found a few tutorials online.)

LS said...

Seeds worship music CDs--my kids and I love to jam out to these or listen to them in the van and they learn Bible verses from them (trust me, the music isn't annoying little kid's voices singing sunday school songs)

Event Gifts--I asked the grandparents to stop buying tons of junky toys and instead do experiences, like swimming money, children's museum money, McDonalds' tickets, etc.

One Big One: Ask everyone who normally gives gifts to pool the money to buy something big like a swingset or trampoline.

Focus on the Family has some kids magazines that look interesting for a Christmas gift

Give them coupons for Mommy and Me or Daddy and Me dates or coupons for a special dessert or a trip to the pool or park.

Anonymous said...

batteries. toothpaste. their own hand soap. you know, things you need. mine are thrilled with things like this. oh, and you can NEVER lose with a whoopie cushion and boys. HOURS of fun.