Monday, November 16, 2009

Controversial Monday: The Mailbox

I worked a lot last week.

And I didn't really blog.

So I'd like to say thanks to Noah who picked up the slack, instead of complaining about me not posting.

I had a more serious topic for today, but I can't find the piece of paper that I wrote it on. Fortunantly one just fell into my lap (an idea, that is. Not a piece of paper).

We were out in my friend's cul-de-sac and the kids were riding bikes. A woman drove up the street and pulled over so she could get her mail before pulling into her driveway.

I think that is the ultimate in laziness.

My friend confessed that she does it sometimes.

I mentioned that Noah used to occasionally try.

But that if I am in the car I throw a fit.

And now he no longer makes any attempt to pull that lazy manuver.

And I make sure I get the mail (by walking down the driveway) before he gets home.

Now, I can see doing this if you have health problems, or if your mailbox is some distance away- but here in suburbia?! Really?!

So what do you all think?

And maybe more importantly, what do you all do?

5 comments:

Bobby said...

This isn't all that controversial. I say if you're going the right direction and its easy to stop at the box before heading up the drive...why not. If its actually a function of being lazy there are far more things in you're life that are bigger issues than the mail box.

Auntie Kendy said...

If I am coming or going and know it has not been picked up I will do it. Don't want to leave it for just anybody to pick up! We had a rash of that here. I do it mostly so I don't forget to do it later!

joolee said...

I open the back door and........reach my hand way outside to grab the mail.

p.s. we installed a mailbox at our backdoor because we were too lazy to shovel our LONG steps/walkway up to the mailbox at the front. OK, we were fine with shoveling it once, but we live at the top of a very windy hill in the frigid Northland where the snow drifts right over our steps a few minutes after shoveling anyway, so the backdoor idea just seemed smart......not lazy.

I don't get the mail said...

Bobby, welcome to controversial Monday, where no matter is too small to stir up some controversy!

I'd only grab the mail that way if I could just because I could. Not really anything to do with laziness.

What I think is funny is the lady in question had to pull it over and then get out of the car. If you can't get it from inside the car, then nothing has been saved anyway.

Grandma Debbie said...

My mail comes to a locked mailbox within a grouping of neighborhood mailboxes. If I'm home all day or it's summer (or at least light out), I'll walk the block to pick it up. If I'm out and about - especially when I get home at 8pm or later and it's dark out, I'll just stop on my way home. I still have to get out of the car, but I prefer it to getting the car in the garage, my belongings in the house, and then making the trip to the mailbox. Maybe it would be different if the mailbox was in sight of the house instead of around the corner. I don't think of it as lazy. Only convenient. Now if I got into the car and drove to the mailbox, that would be lazy.