Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What We've Been Up To!

My mom mentioned that she liked my posts lately. Probably because they have been short little snippits and not my long rambling thoughts. But I miss posting long random thoughts.

In short form, this is what I've been doing:

1. I threw out a pair of footie pjs. This may not seem like a big deal to all of you clutter free living people, but for me this was big. Especially since the only reason I threw it out was because Lincoln had pooped in his diaper and it had fallen off into the foot of the sleeper and it was just...bad... and I threw it out instead of cleaning it. Never thought I would see the day. Now, in my defense, I had bought it for a quarter from a garage sale when Deacon was a baby. But still...

2. Helping Noah strip all the paint off of the floor in room in the basement. This is not fun. We like to do projects together, but we couldn't even talk because we couldn't understand each other through the respirator masks. It was pretty much the Tower of Babel.

3. Helping Noah use a skill saw to cut straight lines in our concrete in the basement. We were still wearing masks and by the end of the night we couldn't even see each other across the room because of all the dust.

4. Taking the boys to the winter parade. This meant driving downtown. This meant slightly crabby, stressed Daddy. As his tension rose, we quickly just parked in a far away lot, and got out and walked. Oh, and ended up paying $10 for parking. Apparently we were parking for the prep bowl, not the parade.

5. Taking Christmas pictures and writing Christmas letters. Nothing has changed since last year. Can we just send the one from last year?

6. Painting ornaments for the boys teachers. I brillantly brought the whole box over to my moms for thanksgiving. My aunts, uncle, cousins, mom and sister helped me get them done. Thanks guys! (maybe I will post some pictures later).

7. Cutting up the marshmallows for the ultimate Thanksgiving salad: Cranberry Fluff. Only that is a lie. Noah cut them up while I slept. I had worked, so maybe it is justified?

8. Going through all of my kitchen cupboards and drawers and cleaning them out.

9. Taking Lincoln to the Doctor for his checkup. Yes, my friends, it was not a pretty sight. He threw a temper tantrum on the floor of the office (YUCK!), threw the tongue depresser thing across the room, and kept trying to escape the whole appointment. His doctor said, "I hope you are a patient woman!", "Does he think he is 2?", "I always tell people that the most stubborn, determined ones are the ones who grow up to do great things", "maybe some antibiodics will improve his mood." and, my personal favorite, when I asked him if he had any suggestions for how to get Lincoln into his carseat, "stick to your guns."

a little background: Lincoln throws major temper tantrums. We ignore him, but so far that has not been an effective deterent.

a clarification: Lincoln has had a runny nose for a month, hence the antibiodics. The MD was just wondering if maybe it is sinus related and he has not been feeling that great either leading to the behavioral stuff.

another clarification: by myself it can take me up to 5 minutes to get him into his carseat because of the tantrum it always starts. Any suggestions? (preferably not "stick to your guns". That has already been established.)

10. Still trying to convince Deacon that shorts are not the best winter wear. The cold may be getting to him though: yesterday he voluntarily put his coat on with his shorts and today he actually was wearing pants.

Hopefully you will hear more from me soon. I know you are just dying to hear about male yoga (yogi?) pants and my favorite mean trick to play on people.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Again Julie, thanks for the laughs - sorry they had to be at the expense of your sanity.

Just thought I'd throw this out, can't imagine you haven't already tried it, but how about a food "bribe" to get him into the carseat?

And Noah, I get crabby too when I have to drive downtown.

The Three 22nds said...

I mean really, Downtown is a maze of one and two-way streets, and I don't know where I am, and I don' know where I'm supposed to be, so how on earth is this going to have a happy ending?

It's a catch-22; I don't drive Downtown because I don't know where I'm going, but I don't know where I'm going because I try to never drive downtown.

JoodyC said...

Julie:

Your children are adorable. I know that must help when they are trying to be their "trying" best.

Regarding the carseat: have you tried making it a game as to how fast he can get into it?

The doctor probably was right, if not the most tactful person around (whatever happened to bedside manners?) in thinking the cold might be a trigger for the tantrums. If he's not sleeping well because of the cold, then he's not at his best during the best of times. Has the doctor checked to see if he's allergic to anything? Food, nail polish and remover, food coloring, clothing, etc., are all allergens that, again, leave us at our not-so-best.

As you know, children usually start having tantrums when they have about a 100-200 word vocabulary. The big problem is having some words, but not enough words yet. The result can be a tantrum.

However, you might want to start a trigger list for times when it isn't just frustration. What was he doing? What time of day? What day of the week? What had he just eaten? Who was he with? Where was he? It may be that the carpet in Aunt Grace and Uncle George's home upsets his system (I'm sure it's not Aunt Grace and Uncle George), or if he's late getting to nap time.

This may be (is) time-consuming, but once you have a list of tantrum triggers you can help prevent them and life is a lot easier.

Judy Colbert
www.TuffTurtle.com/tantrums.htm

The Three 22nds said...

Thanks for the tips! The MD is going to check him for allergies if the antibiodics don't help.

I definitely know that his tantrums occur much more when he is tired. That kid needs his sleep!