Sunday, December 28, 2008

Goals

I really, really like goals. It doesn't even always matter so much if I meet them, I just like to have them. And sometimes I stick with them.

When I was a little girl my mom had this rocking horse sitting on an end table in the living room. I don't really know why. Why, mom? Anyway, I came up with this plan that I was going to keep that rocking horse arockin at all times, because that is what rocking horses should do. Sounds like a flawed plan, right? Obviously I couldn't sit there for the rest of my life giving the little thing a push every 90 seconds. So I didn't feel too bad giving up on the goal after about 4 pushes.

Fast forward a couple years. While going through some stuff, I found an old blue beanie from my mom's freshman initiation at Trinity. I decided I was going to wear it at all waking moments. Why, Julie? Sounds like a flawed plan, right? Who is really going to let their daughter wear a blue beanie at all waking moments? And what girl really wants to do that? But I stuck to that goal. I wore that beanie everywhere except to church on Sunday mornings, the shower and my bed. Every picture from that year I was wearing that beanie. Boys stole it from my cute little head and yet I continued on. I don't remember how long I wore it but it was months, not days. How long, mom? Or sisters? Or life long friends? Or life long enemies? And yes, Noah knew me during the beanie episode. He chose to marry me anyway. That is true love. Actually, I decided to marry him during that time because get this: he was the one boy who never tried to steal my precious beanie.

The point? I like goals. Sometimes I meet them, sometimes I don't.

So, starting January 1st I am going to start a 500 miles in 6 months plan. Basically I need to bike, walk, run or swim 500 miles between January 1st and July 1st. Walking or running counts as 1 mile per mile run/walked. Biking 4 miles counts as 1 mile and swimming 1 mile counts as 4 miles.

This challenge is in one of our city newsletter, but you actually have a year to do it. I thought 6 months would be the appropriate challenge level for me. It averages out to just under 3 miles a day, 7 days a week.

Anyone want to join me? I actually already have 2-4 friends doing it with me. One of them works at Kinkos and designs stuff and I may get him to make shirts. I am into race shirts because it is the only way I buy new clothes.

So here are the rules:

1. Decide your challenge level. I realize not everyone can do 500 miles in 6 months. Pick 500 miles in 8 months, or 7 months, or 3 months or a year. Whatever you think is a challenge for you but won't kill you or cause your family to eat raman noodles every night.
2. Leave a comment saying that you are in.
3. I will pick a day of the week to post an update and so people can comment their miles updates.

Really, I won't feel bad if no one joins me. I forged ahead with the beanie, and I can do it again. But it may be a little fun to do it together :) Maybe?

7 comments:

Matt said...

Josiah's going to do this too! Awesome! I'll have to think about participating myself.
I also like setting goals - I feel like it's in the same category as making lists (as anyone who has played "Whoonu" with me recently can firmly attest to).

Billi Jo said...

Count me in. We’ll have to find a way to convert aerobics (both low and high impact), Elliptical, and weight lifting so that I can count these activities along with running, biking and swimming. 500 ‘miles’ in 6 months sounds like a reasonable goal…but I need practical so I will commit to 500 ‘miles’ in 8 months, that will give me three solid summer months to play catch up...

Heather of the EO said...

UUUUM, you are MUCH more motivated and ambitious than I, friend. I will cheer you on, how about that?

Unknown said...

I have no idea how long you wore your beanie.... all I know is that our parents were nice about things like that...remember my swimming bands I wore.
I am with Billi Jo. 8 months...

Matt said...

Okay Julie, I'm in (waiting until the last minute to decide, of course :-)
I'd like to give myself 8 months, but the competitive side of me wants to go head-to-head with you and Josiah - so I'll say six months and see where I land on July 1.
I'm kind of nervous that so much of it will be during the winter, when long runs outside are difficult, hopefully I'll be able to keep up!

Anonymous said...

Alright. I'm in shooting for six, planning for eight.

EDW said...

Alright--I was going to go with 500 miles in a year, but with all of these other 8 monthers around here, I am going to challenge myself to 8 months instead. About 2 miles a day . . . or a little more=-)