Monday, December 22, 2008

Deacon and Roman

We were driving in the car on the way home from a belated Thanksgiving dinner, and we were viewing the Christmas lights in the 'hood. We passed one house that had a lit nativity scene in he yard. From the back of the van we heard Deacon say, "Hey look Mom, they have a Jesus setup."

------------------



A few weeks back I was asking Deacon about play group. He informed me that he and his friends had been pretending, and hey were playing Robot Spiders. I enquired, "How do you play Robot Spiders?"



"I don't know Dad, but we played it."

----------------

Yesterday I was wearing a ROSE-HULMAN hoodie, with those words printed in big letters on the chest. Roman was studying me intently. Then he said, "Oh!" with the dawning of recognition and held up his arms to be picked up. I picked him up and set him on my lap. He turned around and, using his index finger to mark his spot, he pointed to my right side and said, "R, O." Then he moved to the left side and said, "M, A, N. Roman!"

I was pretty impressed he put that together. The kid is sharp as a whip and probably as dangerous.

------------------------

I asked Deacon and Roman what they wanted to get Julie for Christmas. Deacon was thoughtful for a minute and then said, "Well, Mom is a girl right? I'm a boy. And right now, I'm pretty much only thinking of boy things. You should pick something."

I'm not sure if I should be insulted or not :)

--------------------

We periodically let the boys answer the phone if Julie or I can't get there in time. Sometimes they just do before we can get there. Recently, I came in from working on something in the garage, and Roman had a chair pushed over the by the phone and was just laying the phone back into the cradle.

"Roman, who was on the phone?"

"I don't know Dad, but it sure wasn't [aunt] Genna!"

We're still working on that.

--------------------

-N, signing off

In the near future, look for more ghost writing by me. There will be a Catan post that will blow your mind. There will also be a ginger bread house post that may also blow your mind. It will be strong PG/mild PG13. You can't wait now, can you? (Let's just say the sweet little old cashier lady at JoAnn Fabrics probably doesn't want to know what happened to those seven reindeer ornaments those two nice twenty-something guys bought.)

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

New Adventures said...

Will the ginger bread house post have pictures??

Happy Birthday Deacon!!

The Three 22nds said...

Oh yes. Hi res pics.

Deacon declared this (already (2pm)) his best birthday ever!

Anonymous said...

kids are funny. thanks for sharing your real life stories.

joolee said...

Funny stuff.....your boys sound absolutely perfect! I have to say I noticed the cleaning up brooms on your twitter thingy. I always read that Dr. Seuss birthday book to the kids on their birthday. Smiles all around:)