Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Just Because

The other day I was thinking that I need a new pair of shoes. But then I went and assessed my shoes and found out that I have 13 pairs. That seemed a little excessive to me. Each of my boys has only one pair of shoes. Anyway, I decided to blog about my shoes to see if I can justify a new pair. I am sure this is just what you wanted to look at on my blog this evening. And this probably proves the mom at gym and swim correct. She believes that blogging is narcissitic.

But for what it's worth, here we go...

These are my boots. I have owned them for 70 months. I have been pregnant for 27 of those months. I cannot wear these boots when I am pregnant because my legs get too fat. I also do not wear them in the summer. But that is only like 2 months here, so I think they were a good investment. (and yes, that is my baby's tummy. He is wearing his brother's shoes. And yes, that is a piece of pirate ship and a sippy cup in the background.)

Notice that these shoes are all basically black. Or that they once were black. See the 3 on the left side? Yes, those are the 3 shoes that I couldn't find the pairs to. Nice.
Every shoe here is at least 3 years old. Most of them closer to 7. See my keen sandals? If there wasn't snow on the ground 8 months out of the year, I would wear them every day.



The brown shoes on the left are totally uncomfortable. I don't know why I keep them around. Probably because they were very cool when I bought them in high school. The Columbia ones pictured next are the best shoes ever. Except for the Keens. I bought those shoes very early in our marriage. I remember standing there debating and debating because it was going to be SO much money. 7 years later I still am wearing them. I probably got my money's worth. My current running shoes are next. Then my old running shoes now transitioned to work shoe status. Bike shoes are last.

I won't bore you with specific stories about all my shoes. I will tell you though that I can tell you the approximate price I paid for each pair and the circumstances of each purchase. Except for one pair. I don't remember anything about that black pair with the heel. I feel like they just suddenly appeared in my closet one day. Maybe they did. Do they belong to anyone out there? Did you have a pair like that that suddenly disappeared at least 5 years ago?

This seems like a lot of shoes to me, although most of them are in pretty lousy condition. How many shoes are normal? Should I buy new ones or do I have enough? I want to know! Take a break from the flurry of Christmas activity and go count your shoes! Then come back and let me know how many you have. Any special nostalgic shoe memories?

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm too lazy to go count my shoes, but I know I have more than you, though I wear the same 2-3 pairs over and over.

I have one pair of black sandals I bought when I was pregnant with Ethan. They have a wide elastic strap that goes across the toes. They are perfect for swollen pregnant feet and I've wore them through all 3 of my summer pregnancies. Unfortunately there is no grip left on the bottom. I didn't want to throw them away (I think I paid maybe $10 for them at walmart) so I put strips of that bathtub grip stuff on the bottom of them and colored it black. It looks INCREDIBLY tacky as the black marker wore off immediately, but they are still in my closet.

Anonymous said...

Julie - I have 20 pairs of shoes plus 8 pairs of flip flops, so you definitely have a more moderate shoe collection than me, but I doubt that surprises anyone who knows both of us. :-)

As far as buying more shoes, I try to ask myself when confronted by a buy/not to buy fashion situation, "do I currently have something in my closet that will easily substitute for the item I am about to buy?" If the item would be redundant, I don't get it. But if it is truly something I would use and enjoy having and wouldn't just replace something perfectly good that I already own, then I buy it. What kind of shoe are you thinking of buying?

As far as shoe memories go, I am always saddened by the memory of the fantastic pink hand-me-down jelly shoes I got from a neighbor girl when I was about 7 years old. I wore them when we were playing on a huge pile of dirt from a house they were constructing in our neighborhood and one of the beautiful shoes came off in the pile of dirt and I couldn't find it. Of course, my mother thought jelly shoes were too impractical to bother replacing the lost shoe, so I've been without jelly shoes ever since.

I did almost buy myself a pair of jellies when I saw them in Target two years ago, but I decided I might be a bit on the old side for plastic woven shoes. Besides, mom was right, very impractical...

Billi Jo said...

I am not going to bore any of you with my shoe collection nor am I going to embarrass my self by telling you how many I actually own (much to my husband’ disappointment), I agree with Elise…if you already own something similar move on, but that is quite possible why I am too many. I would like to clarify that I do not believe flip flop should count against the ‘quota’ of practical shoes. And I am all for rotating Tennis shoes from necessary workout to broken down camping shoes. As long as you stay away form black, I say you deserve a new pair of shoes.

Anonymous said...

If you don't count the cool leather boots I have from high school that I can no longer wear (but they are fabulous boots), I have 5 pairs. All but my walking shoes are black. I tend to buy more expensive shoes that last a long time. I'm pretty sure I am on the low side of average in the shoe ownership department.

Now Christmas tree ornaments... that's a different story!

Anonymous said...

yeah i have over 150 pairs of shoes. there is never too many shoes--- at least for this single, no dependent, independent woman!!!

Ruth said...

Hello!
I'm new to your blog. I found you on "Making home" and I really, really liked what you said on the post about moms staying home. I quoted you with amens!

Shoes? lol... I have 1 pair of boots that I bought in 2001, one pair of running shoes that have holes, one pair of sports shoes that a neighbor gave me because they hurt her feet, a pair of ballerinas that are doubling as slippers, and two pairs of ancient, black shoes with heels and ballerina straps.

I'd like a pair of slippers (this is my third winter without slippers!!!) and a pair of very warm boots for walking in this cold weather.

Nice meeting you!

Ruth said...

I forgot my flip flops... One pair of white flip flops that I repaired with hairbands (the hole holding the wedge thingy slit open and the wedges pop out when I walk in them), and one pair of lime green, horrible flip flops with big fabric flowers. Don't tell my DH I don't like them..

Don't compare your shoe needs with your children's, they don't NEED more than one pair, and if they go out in the cold, a pair of warm boots.

Lesley said...

You've been tagged. See my blog for details on what to do :)

Lesley said...

P.S. I love the shoe post -- go ahead and get yourself a new pair and don't feel guilty :)