Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Stocking Stuffers

Our first Christmas together I finally discovered the one thing that Noah and I had never discussed: Stuffing Christmas Socks.

Why don't they cover this in premarital counseling?

Because seriously...money, where to spend Christmas, etc - that all pales in comparison to both parties having the correct understanding of stuffing the stockings.

Noah stuffs stockings based on size. Basically if it is a gift that is small enough to fit into the stocking, that is where it goes. So in his mind the $200 MP3 player belongs in the stocking and the "oh -I-saw-this-6-pack-of-premium-rootbeer-and-I-thought-of-you" goes under the tree in place of the main gift.

And I stuff stockings based on cost. Basically fun little non-main presents or else things you need and can use as presents go into the stockings. So my kids get bandaids, tape, little packs of fruit snacks, new art supplies, fun socks, tooth brushes etc in their socks. Noah gets new blades for his razer, windshield wipers for his car, grenadine, salsa etc. in his.

Basically stuff that I don't need to see them open individually and specially.

So we had a discussion, and now we are on the same page.

I think.

So what do you all do? How do you make those stocking stuffer vs under tree gift decisions?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Nothing in a stocking should cost more than say three dollars. We always got a new toothbrush in our stocking every year. And gum and candy. Maybe that is why we needed the toothbrush.

Matt said...

Wow, another sock post, two in two days!
I'm of the belief that the stockings hold the little gifts - we (my brother and I) used to get a little candy, maybe a couple coins (he and I used to collect coins), possibly a comb, socks, etc.
Becki and I haven't started hanging stockings yet, so everything for her just gets put under the tree.

Anonymous said...

Stocking stuffers should definitely be based on cost. Stockings are also a great place for joke items. Where did Noah get the idea that it's based on size?!?

The Three 22nds said...

I'm an engineer!

If it fits, put it in a sock!

Billi Jo said...

Basics, bargains, accessories and batteries belong in the stockings. The basics being a toothbrush, tube of toothpaste, a bottle of lotion, a stick of lip ointment, etc. The bargains are the sale items you couldn’t pass up, or forgot you purchased. The accessories are the tights (socks), ponies (hat), and purse (well, I guess the girls get more things) that go with the new outfit (in the box under the tree), and the batteries necessary to operate the annoying, obnoxious gadgets and gizmos (at least until they ‘die’ later that evening). In other words Julie is right; as usual.