Monday, December 8, 2008

Socks

I despise socks.

I don't like them when they get the least bit wet
I don't like to match them up after they come out of the dryer
I don't like the way my kids take them off every other second
I don't like that I have to put 8 socks on feet every morning

My distaste for socks started when Deacon was a couple months old.

My washing machine stopped working. The water wouldn't drain. It was disgusting. And these were the days when I was using cloth diapers. I needed that machine to work!

The repairman came out.

$168 later my washing machine was fully functional.

A tiny baby sock had gotten inside the machine and stopped the whole thing up.

My babies very rarely wore socks after that, and if they did, I certainly never washed them.

How dirty do sweet baby feet get, anyway?

But little boy feet? They get dirty. And smelly.

During the summer I send them out in sandals. I wash no child socks from May until October.

But then the snow comes. And the socks come out. And my depression settles in.

8 socks on 8 feet. Every morning.

And then again if we have to go somewhere in the afternoon.

And then again if we go outside to play and everything gets wet.

And then again if someone has an accident.

And then again when someone steps in someone elses accident.

Socks are a compelling reason to hibernate.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

come to Brasil and you never have to wear socks...really...I think I only wear socks when I play soccer and run (sometimes when I go for walks). I think my feet are going to cry for air when I get to MN.

Kim said...

I think my dryer eats the socks.

I've been thinking recently in fact about using one of those mesh bags meant for delicates to keep all the socks together.

I especially hate when I pull off a child's boot and the sock stays in it.

Kim said...

Okay, I just got in from shoveling the driveway, and my own socks came off in my boots. Annoying.

The Three 22nds said...

There is nothing more glorious or comforting than putting on a clean, warm pair of socks on a pair of cold, chilled or damp feet. (okay, maybe a few things, but seriously, it's pretty great).

that said, I once was sorting laundry and I went through nineteen baby socks before I found a match. 19! How is that even possible?

joolee said...

I AM SO WITH YOU!!!!!! My favorite thing about summer is the lack of sock related drama.

"Where are my socks? I can't find any of the socks! None of the socks match? Didn't you wash the socks? My sock feels funny! Waaaahh! My socks are itchy! Waaahhh! Wahhhh! Waaahhh!"

And I too LOATHE folding socks.

If I am ever late for anything (and I often am), there is a 96.7% chance that sock drama is the cause.

And now for my dirty little secret.....sometimes when Steve isn't around to help or chastise my laziness, I let the girls wear their boots without socks.

Matt said...

Whenever I have to buy socks I buy the same kind I already have - so there is no sorting required. My great idea fell short when I realized that the gray area at the toe has a different size on each set - and it's not subtle, the small-band-version cover the tips of my toes and the large-band-version cover more than my toes. Now I just wear them mismatched, and I try not to care (but sometimes my OCD wins)... I don't even have kids yet, I wonder what kinds of sock dramas I'll have then.

Billi Jo said...

There once was a string of commercials that had the two M&M guys running into ‘I knew they existed’ characters, and the charter would marvel at the fact that the M&M guys really do exists. Point: I think I remember one of the characters being a large sock thief that the M&M guys found in the laundry room. Maybe someone with expert internet searching capabilities could find the commercial…it is super funny. And for the record I know I have a sock thief in my house.