Monday, December 21, 2009

Track Drama

This isn't really a controversial Monday post, but I am feeling onery enough not to care. Anyway, it is not Monday anymore.



When I run I usually run around the track or on the treadmill at the YMCA. I am not opposed to running outside, but there is no childcare for my kids if I take an outdoor run.



My OB was saying that she hoped I was not running outside (I omited snarky comment about out of shape MDs giving any fitness advice). I told her that I wasn't. But then I started. I am feeling that contrary.

Anyway, when I run outside it is quiet. And cold. And peaceful.

There is a little ice, and a little snow - but there is no people.

At the Y, there is Track Drama.

Last week as I was running I kept hearing Salvation Army Bell Ringer type clanging. I could not figure out where it was coming from. Then I saw it. One of the elderly ladies walking around the track had her purse firmly tucked under one arm and bells on her shoes. Now, I know she was probably just trying to spread a little Christmas cheer, but can we say ANNOYING?!?

A little tinny bell, maybe...but must we sound like a sleigh?



A couple days ago I was walking on the track. Now, I am a very fast walker. There are not too many people that pass me walking when I am walking. Come to think of it, at my Y there are not too many people passing me when I run either. That says more about the population at the Y though, and not that much about my running.

So I was walking around. I had been having a lot of contractions the night before, so I thought I would take it easy. So much for that. I passed this lady in black and noted that she seemed to be walking faster than a lot of the people. Eventually I came around the corner and saw this older man ahead of me. He made a flopping noise when he walked. I noticed that he was actually walking fairly quickly and as I began to gain on him I became more and more surprised by his speed (and intrigued by the flopping sound). I finally did pass him though and then the craziness started. He sped up to match my speed and stayed 6 feet behind me, flopping all the time. I COULD NOT SHAKE HIM! If I sped up he sped up to maintain his 6 feet. Let me tell you, it is stressful to have someone following you that closely and consistently.

I felt like I was on one of those movies where the main character is walking through a crowded place and they are being chased. No one wants to create a scene though so the walking speeds up, but they won't run until they get to the alley.

I considered breaking out into a run, but honestly, I was walking so fast I didn't know if my body could take the run and keep it up for any length of time. So there we went, 4 times around the track. Sweating, nervous, speed walking pregnant woman followed at 6 feet by older, flopping man. I started to get nervous for him. Would he drop over dead? We were going so fast!

Finally the flopping ceased. I sneaked a look behind me and he had dodged off the track and into the weight area.

Score one for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This cracked me up--older flopping man. Cripes, old dude, what was that all about?