Friday, December 18, 2009

On Being Alone

I teach preschool Sunday School at church, and Roman is in my class.

The SS Christmas program is on Sunday and the preschoolers have 2 songs to sing.

Roman wants to be a sheep.

So yesterday my mom and I made 15 pairs of sheep ears.

So that Roman (and 14 other kids who want to) can be sheep.

I am hoping this means he will participate.

The things we do to get our kids to participate.

Anyway, as we made the sheep ears we let the boys watch the old videotaped production of me starring as the "bad" sheep in the church play "We Like Sheep". In fact, some of you may remember it. I believe that I saw Julie from "Spot on the Sopha" and Rachel from "Home on the Range" (see sidebar for their blogs. Way to lazy too link today). The quality was so bad it was really hard to intentify people. I even had a hard time picking my own husband out! Never mind that it was like 20 years ago and he was approximately 10.

The boys were very interested in this. They wanted to know why I was the bad sheep. I said I wanted to be. Deacon said, "is that because you wanted to run away so you could just be alone?"

I laughed to myself.

But while I was running last night (alone) I felt kind of bad.

My kids know I crave my alone times.

I don't think they know that means primarily I need time away from them.

They just think I like to be alone.

But running away isn't the best option.

At least when you run around in circles, you always end up back home.

I actually pulled out my old "Grimey" sweatshirt. I want Roman to wear it.

He doesn't want to be a dirty sheep.

He wants to be a white one.

Oh well, can't win them all.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

"We like sheep. We, like sheep, We, like sheep, like sheep, 'cuz sheep is what we are!"

I would love to see that video!

Elise said...

Or there was Alex Happ's version:

"We like sheep. We like sheep. We like sheep on our dinner plates!"

I wouldn't mind seeing that video myself.

Was also there said...

See now, I really have no interest. That chapter of my life is closed.

Also was also there said...

Ugh, I've seen it and if you were in it, believe me, you really don't want to see it again.

Sally