Monday, December 14, 2009

Controversial Monday: Christmas Songs

House is a mess.

No underwear or socks folded neatly in drawers.

Noah could care less.

He just goes and digs in the clean laundry baskets for what he needs, knowing full well that he could fold them himself if he cared.

But some things bother him.

Me not blogging daily, for example.

He likes me to blog every day. So I will do my best.

I thought working, trying to stay on top of a supper program, exercising etc. was more important to him. But apparently blogging takes precedence.

You know another thing he doesn't like?

Secular Christmas songs.

So that brings us to controversial Monday- what kinds of Christmas songs are the best?

I like them all. Except for really sappy ones. You know, ones you should cry about if you didn't have a cold, dead heart (like me). But I save my tears for more important things. Things like, "I have had 2 hours of sleep (s0b). And I can't. (sob). get (sob) the zipper down on my (sob) boot."

But Noah? He can't stand Rudolph, Jingle Bells, Chestnuts Roasting on An Open Fire, Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bell Rock and Santa Baby. He really can't stand Santa Baby. He always has to go into a long explanation about all the innuendo etc associated with it and how he can't even believe they play it. Whatev, Dude. The boys are with him. They can't figure out why "that woman" would be calling Santa a baby.

But I love me a little Rudolph- especially adding in all the extras about Monopoly and George Washington. And I don't mind the other ones.

Of course I can appreciate the classic renditions of What Child is This? And "O Holy Night", but I maintain that a little Jingle Bells never hurt anyone.

What say you? What is playing on your ipod this season?

5 comments:

Seriously... said...

{sultry}"Santa Baby, hurry down my chimney tonight."{sultry}

Give me What Child is This?, Oh Holy Night, or Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel any time. All the time.

I like a few secular songs. Or songs that were secular in 1500. Like Green Sleeves.

gma pam said...

I like them all. The variety is amazing. The silly, the fun, the wonder, the truth...each one is a mood changer or memory nudger, but all make me happy.

Elise said...

There are awfully written, cheesy Christian Christmas songs playing on KTIS right now that I can't stand to listen to, so I guess I have less problem with the sacred/secular aspect and more with the quality of the music/performance. You can give me the Boston Pops playing "Jingle Bells" over some Christian artist warbling "Mary Did You Know?" any day of the week.

Grandpa Chris said...

I think I know where Noah might have gotten at least part of his bias... Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer makes me want to barf.

My main objection is that most of the secular songs have nothing to do with the birth of our Savior.

The second is that the quality of the music is usually better with sacred Christmas songs.

Clarify position said...

I will admit that while I don't prefer most of them, I can tolerate Walking in a Winter WOnderland, but Jingle Bells Rock is an instant channel changer.