Thursday, June 25, 2009

Knowing Big Families

I like to know all kinds of people, and to have friends from all areas and stages of life.

My single friends are awesome because they are usually more willing to go do stuff whenever, and they actually WANT to do stuff and go places.

Our couple friends without kids are fun because we don't have the "double babysitter dilemma". They can come over after our kids go to bed.

My mom friends are fun because we can get together while our kids play, but we can still have a good time without our kids.

But knowing familes with older kids and grown up kids has other benefits. Parenting advice, hand-me-down clothes etc.

Last Friday we were invited to a small, private beach by some friends. This friend, Brigetta, has 5 kids ranging in age from 17 down to 5. Her kids are used to having a 5 year old around, so they included my kids, and Brigetta and I were actually able to talk because I was the only one monitoring little babies and so we both weren't running in different directions.

And then the big thing: Roman had to go to the bathroom, and so I was going to have to take him to the porta potty. I went to pick Lincoln up to take him along (for safety) and Brigetta said, "I can watch him". And so she did. That, my friends, is huge. And awesome. When you are with another mom who also has 3 little kids- and there is water involved- you can't just leave them with an extra one. But a mom whose own kids are self sufficient...well, that is a whole 'nother thing!

I love big families.

And I love moms who remember what it is like to be in the preshool/baby trenches.

I am going to be one of those moms someday.

3 comments:

Momma Bear said...

yes! I will be one of those mommas too. I'm struggling now with feeling misunderstood by my friends that only have 1 or 2 little kids, for me 3 is challenging especially when their not far apart in age. I'm finding myself migrating towards mommas of 3 or more babes as of late....a tangent perhaps.

The Three 22nds said...

Momma Bear,

I hear ya! At my playgroup today, for example. I was the only mom of 3 there. Everyone else has 1 or 2. Three are so much harder to keep track of! It is easier than last summer though, because my oldest is much more independent...you will get there soon!

AlyssaJoy said...

I really liked what you said and how you said it. As the mom of 1 I really, really try to be a help. At this crawling/cruising stage, there are times when Oliver makes me wish I had a 3rd arm, but I know that I have way less to manage than the moms with more. It is so encouraging when another mom just "knows" what to do to help-and once you've been through it yourself, you know what's most helpful.