Thursday, August 5, 2010

One of Those Days

I worked last night. When I got home this morning my sister and I went to the Y to work out and take the kids to swimming lessons. I got home, slept for about an hour and took Lincoln to speech. By the time that was over I was ready to crash.

The plan was to sleep in the afternoon for awhile and then get up and be productive- clean my trashed house, go buy the boys shoes etc. Oh, and write a funny blog post.

But I got home to find a message on the answering machine. It was a message from our insurance company.

To make a long story short, they were calling to tell us that all of Lincoln's speech therapy session claims (twice a week for the last 2 months) were being denied.

It is now 8:40 and I still haven't slept.

The problem is that the insurance company verbally told me (4 different people, 4 different times) that it should be covered by our plan. And they told the speech clinic the same thing.

The situation is much more complicated, but I won't bore you with the details.

We only know 2 things:

1. We were assured it would be covered
2. and now it is not

So I spent the afternoon on the phone getting an appeal together and documenting things, calling the clinic etc.

On one hour of sleep.

Not fun.

Needless to say, I have been a disaster of emotionalism today.

It is so aggravating to fight for things that your kids need. And incredibly frusterating to be told that even though your three year old can't talk, therapy for him is not medically necessary.

Whatever, dude.

Pretty sure that if your 3 year old had 10 words, you would think it medically necessary to get him treatment.

I feel better now. I am hopeful that our appeal will work, and feel thankful that even if it doesn't, we aren't going to go bankrupt.

But, it will be a long month of waiting for me. And a long month of not taking him to therapy and trying to do it myself at home. We do plan to continue therapy regardless of insurance coverage- at least at some level- but we are taking a short break while we work all of this out.

Will you pray with us that:
1. the sessions he has had will be covered
2. We can work something out for future sessions
3. that the appeal process will be quicker than the projected 30 days
4. that he will be motivated to work at his speech even when on a break from therapy



Elise said...

Wow, so frustrating! We'll be praying for you guys!

Cole's Mum said...

:(. That is so ridiculous, especially with being reassured so many times that it was covered! We will pray for you guys!

Lesley said...

That is rough! Praying for you guys! And hope you get some sleep!

Thia said...

Hugs and prayers!

Johanna said...

well, as I am currently going through your blog posts backwards, I already have an update on this one, but it sounds like you still could use some prayers. Done and done.