Thursday, May 1, 2008

Trauma (alternate title: Deacon's first stiches)

The day started with great promise; the rain looked like it was going to hold off and we got out of the door early for playgroup. I managed to get through my preschool lesson on seashells and then we decided to take the kids to the park since it wasn't raining (or snowing!) yet.

Unfortunantly, Deacon slipped on some sand going up the stairs at the playground and had a traumatic mouth plant onto the edge of the plastic step. Even more unfortunantly he managed to bleed profusely, loosen 3 teeth and essentially shred the inside of his upper lip.

I never imagined that my first "major" accident with a child would involve them slipping on sand while walking up some wide, close to the ground steps. I invisioned that my kid's first trauma would involve a super hero escapade or a fall from the playground right after I tell the intrusive other parent that my kid is fine.

oh well, life isn't always what you imagine it will be. So I took him to the dentist. He was very brave. From there we went to the oral surgeon for some mouth repair. He was very brave again. The oral surgeon told me that his right front tooth was way too loose and needed to be pulled out. I was very brave as they pulled out my babies tooth. But I was crying on the inside :(

He hasn't been himself all day- he hasn't been talking much, instead he has been using hand motions. He just wanted to go to bed tonight instead of being rocked. I hope he feels better tomorrow. The day is ending though with me remembering the promise, "I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble, but take heart I (Jesus) have overcome the world."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dekes I have been praying for you ever since your mommy told me about the "trauma" that happened to you! I love you and wish I could be there to give you a big and kiss!

Unknown said...

I meant to say a big HUG and kiss, but somehow hug wasn't typed!