Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Productive Day and Jamie

Yeah! I have 2 exciting things to report:
1. Our camera should be arriving tomorrow! (good for you all too, then you can see cute pictures of my kids instead of just my ramblings)
2. The photo I entered into a photo contest made it into the top 5! It is going to be re released sometime tomorrow and the voting will start again. Please vote! www.noemiphotography.com/blog/ My picture is one of Roman with a scenic backdrop.

The boys and I did extensive yard work today. I don't know why, but I always have to start major yard projects in the Spring and then my momentum tapers off and they usually don't get accomplished. This year I am removing all the rocks in the huge rock/tree/shrub pit in my backyard. I removed a bunch of the bushes too (I love to remove shrubs and bushes and I also like to go a little crazy with all the fun tree trimming/hacking devices). I call it my rock project and it is moving along well. I got the boys involved today by handing out wheelbarrow rides back to the backyard after each load of rocks was moved.

What I am going to do with the pit, I don't exactly know. My friend Jamie has been consulted since not only does she like to garden, she is also good at it. She always has interesting things in her yard and she always has projects too. In fact, she is the one that gave me the sod that I was hauling down the road a few days ago. Oh, one more thing about Jamie: she is always amazingly prepared. Last week when Deacon had his accident, I looked around and realized that I had nothing with which to stop the extensive blood flow (yes, I do have a baby and no, I do not carry a diaper bag). So I pulled his shirt off and stuffed it in his mouth. (I did look down to see what I had on but I decided in a split second that it was a better option for the 4 year old boy to be shirtless instead of his 27 year old mom.) I digress. Jamie was there within seconds offering wipes. What a mom. She also managed to pool resources to clean off the poor dinosaur who got the brunt of the bloodshed.

But that is only the first story. Yesterday morning I called Jamie and invited myself and my 3 children over to her house to play in her yard. So the kids are playing and I said we had to get going so that we could eat lunch and get to Gym and Swim. She graciously offered to bring out a little lunch for all the kids so they could have a picnic and to save me some time. I accepted the offer (I'd be crazy not to. I had just cleaned my kitchen and was giddy at the thought that it might stay that way until supper!) She runs into the house and is back in 10 minutes with a nutritious, well balanced meal. She had bananas (cut to specific age and ability), carrots, dino nuggets, string cheese, tomatos, juice boxes and chips. Seriously. That is every food group! And she didn't even have to count ketchup as a vegetable! So anyway, I was impressed. And I resolved to go grocery shopping daily so that I would be sure to have a kid friendly, elaborate spread ready in case she ever calls and invites herself over. So, hi Jamie! I admire and appreciate you!

By the way, in honor of Mother's Day, I am going to highlight some of my mom friends in my blogs over the next few days!

No comments: