Thursday, February 17, 2011

In Summary

A few days ago I wrote this post in which I told you all that I was going to keep careful records of what I did over the course of 3 days. In this way, I concluded, I could see areas of wasted time in my life and make sure that my life lined up with what I say my priorities are.

And I did it. Well, kind of.

I made careful records on Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday ended up being not quite as careful, mostly because we were gone for large portions of the day and I didn't bring my notebook with me, I can recreate it a little, but after reviewing Monday I am not sure that it is necessary.

Secretly I had convinced myself that I was going to find out that I was spending a lot of time on the computer or on the phone or something that I could eliminate.

Here is what I found, however: not much time in my day is being squandered away.

MONDAY-records kept between the hours of 7:00am-10:30pm (after I finished folding laundry at 10 I kept no further records. I probably wrote a blog post and got stuff ready for the next morning)

On Monday I spent 4 hours and 15 minutes away from home. This encompassed speech, swimming lessons, basketball drop off and rockclimbing. During that time I did my sprint runs and my Bible study lesson.

I spent 2 hours and 10 minutes doing school with Deacon (that is average for us I would say).

1 hour and 45 minutes of my day was spent showering, getting ready for the day, nursing Berean, checking email/facebook/blogs. About 15 minutes of that was computer. Berean had a couple long nursing sessions in am and pm. The morning one also included dozing since I didn't have to get up yet.

But here is the worst part: I spent 7 1/2 hours doing domestic chores. 7 1/2 hours of preparing meals, cleaning up after them and doing laundry (I do laundry one day a week, and this was my laundry day). This time also included helping the boys roll and cut out heart cookies, decorating them with the kids and getting them ready for Deacon's basketball practice.

I know the times don't exactly add up, and of course mixed up in there was time I spent trying to get Lincoln to put pants on, bundling the kids up and assisting in their activities and play while I did my stuff. And of course I was being talked to and interacting with them off and on during the day. I do have to say though that because the boys are all pretty independent and Berean naps a lot, there is not as much of my time dedicated to sitting on the floor playing with the kids.

A friend did stop over for awhile, but I was cleaning up/nursing the baby/frosting cookies while she was over. Any other phone calls and stuff were accomplished at the same time that I was making lunch etc.

More impressions to come, but this is a start...and besides, it is time to clean up the kitchen :(

No comments: