Thursday, October 22, 2009

Strangers

I am a Sparks AWANA leader at our church, and Deacon is a K Spark.

Last night during our council time the teacher was talking about friends and why they are important. She asked the kids why they thought friends were important.

Deacon raised his hand and said, "Friends help you solve problems".

Noah and I thought this response from him was somewhat funny. The biggest problem Deke and his friends solve is which of them gets to be Spiderman 1 and which one is going to be Spiderman II.

But I guess in a Kindergartners world that is a big problem.

I would like to think that he has observed Noah and I interact with our friends over the years and has seen us help each other solve problems.

I can hope, right?

So the teacher goes on and somehow the "Stranger" issue came up, and the kids were cautioned that although we should be nice to everyone, we do need to be be careful of Strangers etc. etc.

Deacon loudly whispers to his teacher, "Sometimes you need to meet Strangers in order to get friends."

How true is that?

Now, I know that his definition of "strangers" is different from ours. When he goes to a new swimming class, he considers his new classmates strangers. And they become friends.

We from the beginning would probably classify those people as "classmates" or "acquaintancess"and never really think of them as strangers. Strangers to us are people that we don't know that we encounter in an uncontrolled situation, or maybe even a scary one.

But he is right.

I started thinking last night about the friends that I have that were once "strangers", and by putting aside my fears and insecurities, those people have become friends.

Now, I am not saying that I am going to start striking up random conversations with people in the parking ramp in the middle of the night, but maybe I will think about being friendlier in the neighborhood, or the Y (my Y mantra right now is "no eye contact". "no eye contact".)

And maybe I will gain more friends.

5 comments:

gma pam said...

This is so true...out of the mouths of babes...sometimes we prejudge people as strangers or as not "friend material" so we just avoid or ignore them. Think of the friends we pass up(thinking of our own needs) or the opportunites we miss to make a difference in someone's life!
You and Noah are teaching your kids all the right things...have you noticed they often process those things and then say something that teaches you (and me!!)?

Unknown said...

some people just have strange friends and/or family members(:...but they usually are the best ones to have!

AlyssaJoy said...

Wow! Those are some great thoughts. I bet it is fun to be in Deacon's class to hear these things.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Grandma Pam. I kept not talking to our painter. Last week, I decided to be hospitable and chat. Turned out this guy was a christian and he said something so directly encouraging toward my week (I did not share my situation) that my 'view' of God is getting bigger and bigger. Some times we find out strangers are actually family members - or angels! Heidi

Auntie Kendy said...

As a Christ follower we are to love others... how can we love them if we ignore them!
I've been trying to make more "eye contact" where ever I go... God has wonderful opportunities out there for us to find!