Monday, October 19, 2009

Controversial Monday: Outdoor Baseball

When I was in elementary school I loved baseball. I had a smattering of cards, knew statistics and followed every game of the hometown team with relentless enthusiasm.

I seldom went to games; however. I was 10 and I didn't have any money.

Now, I am a fairweather fan. I don't mind watching an agonizingly long baseball game on TV. But I don't have time for that. And driving downtown, parking and actually going to a game? Don't have time for that either.

So really, part of me doesn't care at all if the stadium has a roof or not. I would probably only go once every couple years anyway.

But when I hear "This is the way baseball was meant to be played" I laugh to myself.

Maybe outdoors is the way that baseball is meant to be played.

But baseball is also MEANT to be played.

And I can't help but wonder how much it will actually get PLAYED and ENJOYED by playing outdoors in the cold north.

Maybe baseball was never meant to be played up here at all.

5 comments:

peter said...

There might be a few cold nights in early April, but the weather here is beautiful from May-September. And if we're still playing in late October, I don't care how cold it is, I'm going. :-) There are plenty of other cities - Denver, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston - where it can get cold in the early spring and late fall, but they all do just fine. We will too.

LS said...

I don't have a controversial thought on baseball.

But I did have to share that my facebook status today has more to it. I wanted to share it with you since I knew you would get a kick out of it. It may have offended others (who hate country or hate secular music) if I had wrote this on my status (not to mention my hubby who I don't want to feel jealous of Brad Paisley) but the reason Jer was unsupervised and breaking things in the store was because Mommy was taking a dancing class and got paired up with Brad Paisley himself! We were cuttin' a rug and having fun while Jer was on the loose. Isn't that a hysterical one? I don't even listen to him that much but I love his smooth voice and wish there was a Christian singer that sounded just like him!

Play Ball! said...

Baseball is meant to be played out of doors.

I admit it would be nice to have a roof now and then, but the cost of a retractable roof is crazy. So in a publicly funded stadium, I gotta side then with no roof.

Will there be miserable days? Sure. I've played in some lousy weather too. We'll be in line with Colorado for snow delays and snow-outs. Oh well I guess.

It may well be that there are days with low ticket sales or lots of no-shows. I heard the Gophers had 4000 no-shows in their new stadium last week when we got the early Oct snow.

I saw some pics though. Looks like a gorgeous park.

g'ma Pam said...

Why don't they just shorten the season a little bit? Either less games or more day games or double headers...
I think it is strange to have baseball and football going on at the same time. Could one end before the other begins???

A marathon not a sprint said...

They can't shorten the season because

a) it's always been this way (well, since 1961)

b) fewer games means fewer tickets and tv dates, which means fewer dollars

Those things combined with the fact that there are now three playoff series instead of two mean it will likely never be shortened.