Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Conversations with Deacon

I'm making supper. Chicken nuggests and popcorn. Protien and starch. Gourmet stuff.

Enter Deacon.

"Dad?"

[short pause]

"Yes Deacon."

[no pause]

"Wouldn't it be cool if I had a hundred million, maybe two hundred million nails?"

[no pause]

"Aren't you curious what I would do if I had that many nails?"

[short pause]

"Yes Deacon. Actually I am curious, what do you want all those nails for?"

[no pause]

"I'd nail them on all my walls and hang key chains on all of them, so there would be key chains all over all the walls."

[short pause]]

"Hmm. You know what? I actually thought of that once or my room, but your grandpa and grandma didn't think it was a very good idea."

[thoughtfull pause]

"Why wasn't it a good idea?"

[no pause]

"Was Grandpa Chris afraid that if you used all those hundreds of nails in your room, there would be none left for him to finish his front steps?"

[short pause]

"No, I think it had more to do putting all those holes in the walls. Deacon, go check and make sure your brother didn't leave the freezer open."

[as soon as Deacon returns]

"Dad, are you almost done with the deck?"

[short pause]

"Yes?"

[no pause]

"Cause I was thinking we could maybe go count your nails and see how many you have."

[no pause]

"Because I'm going to need lots of hundreds of nails for all those key chains..."

3 comments:

gma Pam said...

I think it is a great idea. But those nails can leave pretty big holes, so I would suggest those "sticky-outy thumbtacks" instead. They would be strong enough and pretty,too. If you keep them far enough apart,when you don't want that decor anymore,you can just paint the wall and the holes are gone! Should I give Deacon my suggestion? I'll help! (no pauses between sentences)
He is persistent, isn't he?

Grandpa Chris said... said...

BIG smile! Tell Deacon, Grandpa Chris uses deck screws. Also, while I don't think it would have been okay for you, Noah, I think it's a great idea for Deacon. Give some nails & a hammer to Roman too! Julie said something about wall repairs in her list.

Grandma Debbie said...

I had to laugh - the stairs are not coming along at lightening speed, but Grandpa Chris hasn't been working on them THAT long!