Thursday, October 1, 2009

Controversial Monday: Thursday Edition


So my controversial topic of the week is "Home Alone".
(the picture is one that Noah took. See, that is my reflection in the window)

Noah has been gone the last few days on a work related assignment. He got home last night, right in time to help me put the kids in bed.

I don't like it when he is gone. It is lonely and I miss him. I also don't like being a single parent- but even before we had kids I still missed him when he would be gone.

Thankfully he doesn't travel much.

I gotta tell you, though, I get a lot more accomplished around the house when he is gone. I put the kids to bed early and clean and do projects. Meals consist of PB & Js and Mac and Cheese - so there is little prep and not as much clean up.

So the question of the day is: Do you like it when the people you live with are away for a few days at a time? Do you get lonely? Do you like having the alone time? Do you get more or less done? Do you like having an evening apart now and then or on a regular basis? Or are you miserable if all your free time is not spent together?

Tell me!

5 comments:

Billi Jo said...

Josh and I function so much of the time, taking care of the family, all by ourselves, that when we are together NOTHING gets done, because we both know the other person can and should do it while we are together. Do I like when he is gone for extended periods of time? No, I do not function well as a single parent. Taking care of the girls 24/7 is extremely difficult for me. I tend to procrastinate on completing things because I simple do not care, as much as he does, about the day-today cleanliness of the house. When we have “alone time” we try really hard to make sure each of us gets to do an activity of their choosing…for me it ranges form scrapbooking to a full workout. We know life right now (and for the next 10 years) will revolve around the girls…and we are okay with that. Nights out alone (just the two of us) are awkward; we’d rather have friends bring their kids and play a game. Thus we rarely go on “date nights”.

Jamie said...

I don't mind if Brian goes out for the evening, even until late - I can find plenty to do - but I do NOT like to be alone in the house overnight! I don't sleep well and I stay up into the wee hours so I know that when I do turn in I will actually be able to fall asleep. Thankfully he doesn't usually travel more than once or twice a year, but with his new job there may be a few trips in his future. Ugh...

joolee said...

I'm finally catching up on your posts and believe it or not Steve left a few hours ago for an overnight men's retreat. I don't like being alone.....but I also try to make the most of it by being really lazy with meals and watching movies with the kids. Somehow my laziness makes it more bearable.

Thia said...

I need time with him gone. I don't get enough of it. When he is gone, I get more done, I relax, everything seems to run better.

LS said...

I don't like my hubby being gone and feel a lot less "protected" especially late at night, but I try to make the most of it. I throw a girl's night at my place or watch Chick Flicks I know he wouldn't be interested in or scrapbook up a storm or sew. I enjoy lonely time and quiet time so it doesn't wreck my world if he's gone. I have known some women who are so clingy to their husbands that they mope around counting the hours and minutes until their husband gets home and complain that they don't know how they are going to survive without him. This makes me want to puke! I want to say, "Get a life! Cowgirl up and do something you enjoy or spend time with the kids and time will fly." The pioneer women back in the day had to go without their husbands for long stretches of time and had to be ready to use their guns in time of danger. What wusses we are today! Oddly enough, the women I have known who are most clingy are midwestern women. Western women are very different. I'm not saying only MN but other midwestern states too. When I lived in MN I noticed this constantly. Maybe you should do a controversial post someday on whether or not midwestern women are as independent as women in other areas of the country?