Friday, January 29, 2010

Goal #1 of 2010: Reading

I have always loved to read fiction. But, I have a problem when I read fiction: I get really crabby, lose sleep and don't do anything else.

Basically I get addicted to the book.

So I haven't been reading very much fiction. When I do pick up a novel I give myself strict guidelines - like I can only read it when I am using a stationary bike or after every single thing on my list is crossed off.

I have had a stack of nonfiction accumulating on my nightstand. Parenting books, nursing books, marriage books. Books I have really been wanting, needing to read.

Parenting books- they have good ideas, good suggestions etc, but mostly they just help to keep me focused on the task at hand: raising my children.

Nursing books- I have some career goals and I like to keep learning, reading through these would be beneficial to my job.

Marriage books- This has taken a bit of a backburner, because honestly, if you read parenting books you are reading marriage books. Parenting books teach you how to stay calm, how to listen to the other person, how not to be controlling, how to only change what you can. Marriage books kind of say the same things. As do self help book. So though I will probably throw in a couple books on marriage, these are not toppest priority. Although if you have any suggestions I will take them.

So my goal for 2010 is to read 1 chapter a day of something. This has been awesome because I add it to my daily list as a simple "chapter". It only takes about 10 minutes to get through a chapter, and when it is on my list I get it done during the day because it takes less time than say "Polish all the woodwork in the house" which may be one of the other things on the list. I can do it while the kids play, while I am making lunch, while they are in the bathtub. And it keeps me focused on my parenting for the day.

I didn't think that one chapter a day would get me very far, but it is the end of January and I have already read "Bringing up Boys" by Dobson and am almost done with "Parenting with Love and Logic" by Cline and Fay. Next up is one about raising up a Daniel which I need to get from my mom and the "strong willed child". Then I may take a parenting book break for awhile and concentrate on something else.

Any other life changing books I should read?
(keep adding suggestions to my last post about good, easy kid chapter books. Maybe I will keep a list and let you know how my kids liked them!)

5 comments:

Books said...

Techniques of Modern Hitting by Wade Boggs. Great book. I read it serval time during my teen years and it changed my life.

The Three 22nds said...

Books,

Really?! That is the one that changed your life? Personally, I thought that the Mental Game of Baseball by Kuehl was much more informative and gave a much better view of hitting in chapter 15. But whatev, to each his own... but you gotta admit that the quote, "See the ball: hit the ball" by Pete Rose is really something.

More books said...

The Mental Game of Baseball was also an important book. As was the The Art and Science of Hitting by Rod Carew.

But none I think had the initial impact of Boggs' book. Without Boggs, I'd probably never have needed Kuehl.

The Three 22nds said...

Hmmm...I just think that mental is always the best foundation for learning about the physical aspects of the game. And I never quite caught the concept of what Boggs was trying to say about "Modern". I think he was really trying to say too much and the true meaning got lost.

You're nuts said...

Yogi Berra did once say that "Baseball in 90% mental; the other half is physical."