Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Little Crazy with a Side of Irony

I have all kinds of things I have been wanting to blog about, but I haven't made the time to sit down and type anything out. You see, I have 3 kids and 1 on the way.

Last night Noah and I were talking and suddenly realized that 7 weeks is not actually that far away. Now, we aren't ones that are apt to freak out about things. We know that a baby doesn't actually need much, and we can probably pull out the baby clothes on the day of it's birth if need be. But we haven't talked about Noah taking any days off work or where the kids are going to go etc. I haven't preregistered at the hospital either. I should probably do that.

I have decided to pull out the cloth diapers I used with Deacon and use them for this baby. We will see how that goes :)

This weekend Deke and I walked down to the ice rink to practice skating.

It was actually kind of funny, because as soon as he could take 3 steps without falling (and I do mean steps, not glides) he was trying to figure out how to spin and turn and do tricks. He also pretty much thinks he is awesome, which I think is a universal characteristic of 6 year old boys.

Eventually he grew tired of the effort and so he went back to boots and we were playing a little hockey. Except we were on boots and we only had one stick; so it wasn't really hockey. He won the first "game" and we went on to a 2nd. We each had a couple of "goals" and it was decided that the next goal would win. I came in for a shot and he did nothing.

"Mom, do you know why I didn't try to stop you?"

"Why?"

"I want it to be fair, and I already won once, so I thought I would let you win."

I did think it was sweet, but the competitive side of me (which is rather dominant) immediately made me want to tell him that I was not playing at 100% either game and that it is crazy for him to think that he could beat me at any sport at this time in his life. But I didn't. I graciously accepted the win handed to me and we walked home. He offered to pull the wagon.

Maybe he will be a gentleman yet.

---

On the way home we passed our neighbor who washes his car a lot. He had been out on our way to the rink and had been chopping ice at the bottom of his driveway. It was actually on the street in front of his driveway, his entire driveway was clear of even the slightest hint of ice already.

Anyway, as we passed him for the 2nd time we noted that he had completed removing all of the ice from the street, and was now standing on his driveway with his hose spraying it off, presumably melting anything that may have escaped his careful scraping.

Now that, my friends, is hardcore.

3 comments:

Grandma Debbie said...

I can't help wondering if your neighbor has ice at the end of his driveway again from hosing it.

I think it's great that Deacon "let you win." Kindness is a wonderful trait, and often hard to develop.

The Three 22nds said...

I am pretty sure Deacon got the kindness from your son :)

LS said...

I got a kick out of your neighbor. Reminds me of my neighbor! I swear the guy is obsessive compulsive. It must drive him nuts to see all the strollers, dump trucks, and ride-ons in our yard. He was chopping ice at the bottom of his driveway (and ours) yesterday and I'd never seen anyone do that before. He also blows his concrete off so that there is never a stray leaf to be found and if we get the slightest dusting of snow he's out snowblowing. His house is perfectly immaculate and perfectly groomed and perfectly decorated (I think his wife must be some kind of designer). Needless to say, it is intimidating living next to them! Even their recycling boxes they set out on Thursdays are perfectly uniform and neat. At least they don't have kids and keep to themselves though!