Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Political and social Commentary




Not really...


"Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism and communism war has NEVER solved anything." Rateitall.com


Noah and I saw that on a bumper sticker and our conservative, libertarian, cynical and witty sides liked it :)


More and more we are being compelled to get on our knees and pray for our country, our world, our church and our family. I know this is supposed to be a light hearted blog about the kids, but every once in awhile I will get to thinking about something that may SEEM not to be about the kids.


I have worked adult medical intensive care for a few years now and in the MICU we see a lot of drug and alcohol abuse as well as dysfunctional family situations. We also see death. Fast deaths, unexpected death, slow deaths, chronic deaths. Another nurse and I were talking about the "dark deaths". I was taking care of a young man in Indiana whose short life had been greatly abused by drugs etc. He was dying despite medical intervention and our best efforts. I was in the room with him as the decision by his family was made to withdraw heroic measures. I have never felt such a darkness, an evilness in a room before. You know me...I am about as cynical as they come and I am not an emotional or "feelings oriented" kind of person...maybe that is why it freaked me out so much. (and it is probably why I can say this next sentence).


I pray that for my family members and I that death will be a positive time where we are certain that we will soon be in Heaven with the Lord where there will be no more tears or sickness. I am compelled to pray that for my family there will be no "dark deaths" where we are concerned about where the very souls of those we love are going. "Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift (salvation)".

No comments: