Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Idea That Has Changed My Life

I really can't stand mosquitoes.  I know a lot of people don't like mosquitoes, even hate them, perhaps, but they still hang out in the great outdoors.

I would rather miss my kid's baseball games, fireworks, camping- any evening outdoor activity, really, then have to deal with those pesky little blood suckers.

And I also do not like bug spray.  I just don't.  It creeps me out.

So, by the time the weeds are in full swing, the bugs are too- and my garden gets neglected.

The problem became very severe this week because my strawberries ripened.

Now I have to go pick strawberries but there are so many mosquitoes I can hardly stand to be out there long enough to get all of the ripe ones.

Enter the fabulous idea: a large fan.

Don't laugh.

It is kind of embarrassing really.

I feel  like a big wimp- a suburban mom who can't stand to be inconvenienced by a few bites.

But mostly,  I just feel really smart.

I take my big old fan out to the garden with me, connected to an extension cord. 

Then I pick strawberries and week my garden, all in a nice breeze and a mosquito-free environment.

This is the life.

2 comments:

Thia said...

You are not alone. The bugs are one reason that I dread summer. Sitting on the front porch with the fan on makes it tolerable.

Auntie Kendy said...

LOVE this idea!! Might have to try it when I go out to pick raspberries!! Hope your crop is coming up well and producing this year for you!