Monday, October 8, 2012

10 Reasons I Love Homeschooling

I feel very strongly that homeschooling is right for our family.  It is a bonus that I love doing it!  Now, there are days that things don't go right, but after 5 kids I have learned that tomorrow is a new day, and I try not to get too worked up about it.

Here are 10 reasons why I love homeschooling my kids:

1. I am learning so much!  Now, you might think that I should already know basic 3rd grade history, geography and science, but the truth is, there are things that I have forgotten.  I supplement their text books with books from the library, and I am picking up tidbits of information all of the time!  In fact, I don't even like Deacon to do his history on his own, because then I miss stuff :)

2. Reviewing phonics is never a bad thing.  Phonics has never made much sense to me, but going through it as an adult is very beneficial.

3. If one of my kids is interested in something, we can do a lot of extra work and research on the subject.  If there is something that is not interesting to them, we can just plow through, get it done and move on.

4. We have time during our school day for AWANA

5.  I am there during the day for their instruction, so I am also the one that is there to field all their questions.  This often leads to opportunities to discuss Biblical world view and the Scriptures.

6. FLEXIBILITY!  I don't have to meet busses., I don't have to call and say they won't be at school.  If I decide that we are going to have a day off, or a light day I can do so.  If they are in good learning moods,  we can do twice the amount of work.

7.  They are around to help with the running of the household and to interact with their younger siblings.

8.  The boys have lots of free time, because we can get done with school so quickly.  They have lots of fun building with their legos, running around outside  and genuinely enjoying being together.  I love that they can do the things that they love during the day.

9.  Appointments during the afternoon- when we are done with school, but the public school hasn't let out yet!

10. I know exactly what they are learning, and what they are supposed to know.  Because of that, all of our week (and weekend) is prime time for casual reinforcement and review of the weeks lessons.

There are things that I don't like about homeschooling.  For example, I dislike projects, science experiments and making lunch.   It bothers me sometimes that I can't get out with my little ones to do "age appropriate" play groups.  But when it is all said and done, the good outweighs the bad and I am glad I have the opportunity to be a homeschooling mom!

2 comments:

Grandma Debbie said...

I loved homeschooling for all the reasons you gave. One of the things I liked best and never realized would be a result of home educating our kids, was that as teenagers, they didn't feel entitled to spend weekends primarily with their peers.

Unknown said...

I love that you homeschool them too...I think they would miss each other a lot!