Thursday, February 21, 2008

Roman the Resourceful

Here I go typing this for the 3rd time! The computer has been acting up today and Lincoln made his "shutting off the computer" debut as well. (hmmm...maybe those two things are related?). I guess that shiny button at eye level is just too tempting!

Ahh...but back to Roman the Resourceful. By the way, that would be a fabulous name for a knight. I like knights so the title won out over "Independence at All Costs" and "The Furniture Whisperer".

The little knight decided to help his grandma and Deacon scrub the kitchen. He knows that he needs two items for scrubbing: rag and water. Roman does a lot of scrubbing. He also knows where to get those two items. Roman gets those two items a lot. He got the rag no problem, but when he went to get water he ran into a roadblock- Mommy, who was in a frantic cleaning frenzy at the time, had put an end to all independence by taking his stool and putting it in some unknown place. (Truth be told, the stool was under the sink, only inches away from his precious little knees, but why would he ask? He is a knight, and a resourceful one at that).

Roman came down the stairs with a dripping wet rag. I went up the stairs and found the full clothes hamper laying down in the bathroom- the perfect new step stool.

I did wonder why he chose the clothes hamper. It didn't seem like a logical choice to me, but then again, Roman is not known for logic- he is known for resourcefulness. I had to go into the boys room for something and that is where I hit my roadblock:


Apparently he had first attempted to move the toddler bed into the bathroom for a stool. He only got it as far as the door and then managed te squeeze his little body out to go after the hamper. I couldn't squeeze my (not as little) body in so I had to resort to herculean moves and ingenuity to get the door open and the bed back to where it belonged. (ok, so the moves weren't so herculean nor did it take much ingenuity, but I did need to move the bed). Roman was able to enter the room easily. It reminded me of the scene from "Little Joe" (veggie tales) where the peas just go in and out of the jail cell at will.

The reason for my cleaning frenzy was that our house went on the market yesterday! Getting our house ready to enter the dog-eat-dog world of real estate has been a challenge for our clutter filled lives. The combination of Noah's strong sentimental attachments, my "craft" supplies (translation: stuff that could be used for obscure projects long into my future- remember the pen sculpture?) and mountains of dinosaurs, cars and bugs (and step stools) that are precious to our boys have led to many "discussions" over which objects are less than worthy and need to be disposed of. I'm looking foward to more discussions this weekend.

Until next time,
Julie the Junk Remover

No comments: