Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Again

What a whirlwind life is.

Everyn and I walked into the Y this morning, I needed to catch up on some mileage for my October challenge and she was accompanying me.  I was holding her sweet little hand and we were walking slowly together, just the two of us. 

An older man walked by, stopped and smiled at us.  "oh, how I miss my kids being little like that", he said.

I smiled back and said, "I love it.  It is such a fun time."

He replied with a, "it just goes by way too fast".

And I looked at our shadows- the two of us, me tall with a bag on my shoulder and reaching down to a little hand.  Her, in her goofy overalls and hair sticking up all over and her little hand reaching up, holding mine.

I know most young moms don't like to hear when older people say, "I miss those days"- because they complain that those people have selective memories- that they are forgetting the fatigue, the endless demands, the sibling fights and the buckling, the shoes and the messy eaters.

But I am in these days, and I know that I am going to miss them when they are gone. And I am trying to cling to them even as they are flying by me - because truthfully,  I don't really care about the mess, and I don't really mind the selflessness of being a mother.  I just care about the little hand inside mine, and I know it won't be there very long.

*Soon I will tell you about my Lasix surgery, my dear Grandma, my October challenge, my wardrobe make over, fantasy football and some quote of the days.  Oh, and a fall photo shoot!  Soon, very soon...*

No comments: